LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No Torque After first gear

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if people could please help me with an issue im having with my bike.
I just bought it used and i had everything checked and the bike has been running fine.
Just did my first 500 miles on it with no relative issues till now.
The other night i was at a stop light of course i had the bike in neutral as it was a long light.
When the light finally turned green i shifted into first and release the clutch the bike takes off.
So its getting some sort of power,but when i try to shift from first to second the clutch release power off the rear wheel and when i disengage the clutch to allow power back to the back end of the bike nothing happens the bikes just rolls. The engine keeps running and if i switch back into first i get a little power back other than that nothing.
Everything starts I changed my oil and siphoned my gas tank because someone told me it could be the 87 so i replaced it with a full tank of 91. Im alittle worried as i just bought the bike and up until now ive had no issues riding at all but i would hate to have any major service needed. Other riders have told me i might need a new transmission so i figured i would reach out to the community see what comes back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2017, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
It sounds to me like the shift isn't actually making it into gear and then popping out... Or something internally/externally with the linkage could be messed up... Start small, then work big... Look at the easiest and obvious first, then go worst case... People thinking they are mechanically inclined always go worst case first and throw out what their buddies grandad's brother uncle cousin worked on 30 years ago and told him... I go off of firsthand experience...

From my experience, I have had missed 1-2 shifts and it popping out of neutral several times, the shift linkage needs major overhauling and upgrading... Even the big guy from Revzilla mentions that in his video several times, and I have experienced it myself and as a seasoned rider, its a flaw... I have to literally slam into gear with a lot of strength, much more than needed or required due to the flaw in the linkage...

What I did was took apart the linkage, cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted to my liking... I am thinking there is too much stress or the angle is to great for the linkage to actuate properly... But I haven't taken apart the internals yet... It shifted better once I cleaned up, prepped, and lubricated the outside linkage and has lasted the whole season, I'll have to redo it again coming up for mth season for me...

Let me know more details and I'll go from there to help you as best as I can...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2017, 12:56 PM

And fuel isn't the issue, I believe out of the box our bikes use 87, and are tuned for 87, not 93 octane.... So that's just a waste of money initially, especially if it isn't tuned for it.... Knock/Detonation resistance is all the #s are used for, and in a gasoline engine, that's a huge no no running lean, even for a second... Doesn't sound like an engine performance or fuel system issue, this is all mechanical...

post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Can you go through all the gears or does it pop out after 2nd? Like can you dry run with the clutch pulled in and go through all the gears? And then without the clutch pulled in can you go through the gears?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page