fork lock stuck! help please! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-05-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation fork lock stuck! help please!

I haven't ridden the bike in a few months due to a weird work schedule.

So today is so gorgeous and I am off work, I HAD to go for a ride.
bu........ battery is dead. Too dead to turn the starter although the instrument cluster does power up. So no prob, I put it on a battery tender now, so I guess I can go ride tomorrow instead, I wasn't very surprised by this, I should have just put the tender on it last time.

My more serious problem - BIG problem! the fork lock is stuck!

Finally I stuck my finger back behind the key switch, where the lock causes a small piston/bolt to come out, which locks the fork. With the switch NOT in lock position, I was able just reach back there and push the piston/bolt up and in, so that it's pretty much flush with the housing, and no longer protruding. But! the forks still won't budge!
What other sort of lock might there be besides that little piston/bolt looking thing that pops out when it is in LOCK position?
Any ideas for me?
I have checked the owners manual - all it says is not to lube the switch with petro-based oil. So I guess I need to go to the store and get some other kind of spray lube, that white spray grease or whatever.
I will now go read the big shop manual and see if it has any info for me....

Can anyone here help?
I'm used to having a separate fork lock, as on my old Sportser.
Up til now though, the Street fork lock has worked fine.
With that bolt/piston "retracted", I just can't imagine what else might be the preventing the forks from turning.

Anyone?
thanks,
Aunty Em in Tampa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, I guess I sort of fixed it.
I went and bought a can of silicone spray lube.
Sprayed it as much as possible on that little bolt/stub that pops out to lock the steering head. And then I sprayed into the ignition too, and also I worked the in and out function of the key switch back and forth several times.
But! the forks still didn't want to turn easily. Finally I sat on the bike and just yanked them and with some kind of grinding noise I did NOT like, they went ahead and turned. So after waggling them back and forth a bunch of times, and spraying the lube around where the fork trees contact the fork stem, I got it pretty loosey-goosey. Like I wouldn't have noticed it, any drag or extra friction if I'd gone riding and it was like this.
So now the lock mechanism operates like it should. I ought to go out there and spray the gas tank lock too, cuz it is a pain in the butt sometimes.
I would go ahead and go riding, but the battery is still not at full charge. It does start right up now, but Batt Tender is still on "red", so I'll let it finish charging.

One odd thing I noticed in the service manual, while I was just looking in the index under "switches" - it refers to a kickstand (sidestand, jiffy-stand?) switch. I find that weird, since I've never noticed that having the stand up or down affects anything at all with regard to starting, etc.

I guess I need to see about getting the steering head really lubed/greased professionally. Or, maybe it's ok now, I dunno.
Another thing I'm suspicious about - the wire that comes out the back of the headlight - wow that thing has only a couple of hairs-width clearance to the front of the steering head. That could have prevented the forks from turning smoothly, but it does clear, just not by much. So I'm pretty sure that wasn't preventing the forks from turning.
I've had a bunch of bikes over the years. New bikes, old bikes - and none of them had forks that didn't want to turn easily/
post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I there bike is still in warranty, I would talk to local dealer see what they have to say. If there was moisture, I wonder if rust is causing the mechanism to get stuck..

James

post #4 of 12 Old 02-05-2017, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
There is an Electrical Connector coming off the Lock Cylinder.

I had to replace mine last year. After I dropped the Gas Cap. Harley sells the Lock Cylinder and Gas Cap as a Set. With a New Key. Had to remove the Upper Steering Head to remove it. Its Possible that, Maybe it got Rusty. Or, The Bike was Jarred. And the Pin maybe slightly bent?? I've locked mine a few times. Never for a few months.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 12 Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
James, it is out of warranty.
TucsonMax1, thanks for the info.
"never for a few months"... lol, yeah I'm pretty ashamed of that.
It seems to be fine now. (thankfully)
But I think I need to check the steering head bearings and make sure they are greased. The stem too, really, but that would be really a hassle to check.
I know on some bikes people install Zerk fittings, to try and squeeze some grease into the bearings without having to dissassemble.
Yeah I wouldn't want to have to pull the top tree. sigh, those days are over for me, I think.
I think the switch and bolt just needed lube.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
I bought one of those Scissor Type jacks. Had to use it to hold the bike while I was working. The Fork Tubes moved slightly when I removed the Tree. A turn or two of the jack. And a rubber mallet. She went back together without incident. The Steering Stem Bolt has 2 Torque Specs. The book mentions it in the Torque Spec Listings. But not in the actual section for removing the Tree. I think it was 200 Inch lbs. Loosen then Torque to 75.
Aunty Em and PugslyCat01 like this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #7 of 12 Old 08-19-2018, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check your steering head bearings, here's a picture of mine. I noticed binding and took it apart. They get water in them and rust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0645_1534731986685.jpg (63.3 KB, 21 views)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I have just noticed the same binding on my bike. Thanks for the posting, this is what the forum is all about.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #9 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I think the switch on the 'jiffy stand' is something that is only on bikes in certain countries. Here in the UK we have it. It prevents you putting the bike in gear, and subsequently riding off, with the stand in the 'down' position.

Botty
post #10 of 12 Old 08-21-2018, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Today the dealership confirmed that the upper and lower steering head bearings are pitted and will have to be replaced, together with the two dust covers. As soon as all parts are in stock they will contact me. Mine is the first 750 that has this problem at this dealership.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page