LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Jiffy Stand

Hello Everybody,
I have recently had a problem of the jiffy stand slowly sliding and collapsing and the bike tipping to the side. I had just parked for a minute in order to close my gate. Fortunately the bike was not started. There are a couple of scuff marks on the crash bar and under the foot rest. The dealer has agreed to rectify the marks but has stated that he has not heard of a problem with the stand. I have seen earlier threads on this issue but Harley has not given any solution. Has anyone recently experienced this problem and what is the best way to handle this. I am now jittery to put it on the jiffy stand. My bike is a 2016 September model. Is there anything I can suggest to the dealer since I am going there on the 24th of April anyway.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jiffy stand

I have had this problem as well, the first ride out I had with the bike it fell over when parked. Admittedly it was on a slight down hill slope. Luckily there was no damage. I have since made a shoe which fits on the bottom of the stand to make the foot print a lot larger, you can buy these on eBay. This seems to work although I always leave it in first gear now when parked.

2016 xg750
T140 Bonneville 750
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Never had a problem with it. Maybe it's just technique? When I started riding 35+ years ago, I got in the habit of putting the stopped bike in first gear, putting down the kickstand, setting the bike on it, locking the fork, and then pulling backwards on the left handlebar (preferably with the clutch in) to "seat" the bike into the kickstand. Let go of the clutch and it shouldn't go anywhere, although yes obviously you'd want to avoid parking into a downhill slope whenever possible.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
I always put mine down. Then roll the bike back. To make sure it is Locked In.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks All. I am following generally all what has been mentioned except for locking and not putting it in gear. I will definitely start implementing them. Anyway I am going to the dealer where I will suggest the shoe.
Thanks everyone for the inputs.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-26-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have ordered the shoe as mentioned by you. Incidentally how have you fixed it? There is no information on that. I have read that folks keep it in the pocket and use it when required. But isn't that painful needing to bend down place it and then pick it up. I was thinking of sticking it with a 3M two way tape under the current stand. There is also a Plaxo glue available which is well nigh impossible to break. Any other suggestion is welcome.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
But isn't that painful needing to bend down place it and then pick it up.
The guys I've seen using something like this carry it somewhere on the bike and toss it on the ground in approximately the correct location. Then they nudge it into final position with their foot.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks
post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have learned with my new 2017 bike that the jiffy stand does not lock and will collapse if moving forward at all. This is why owners should never park with the front end at a downward slope/angle. Also, my bike (and I'm sure all others of this model) does not have a "kickstand down" safety (the bike will not shut off when put into gear with the kickstand down), so please make sure you check before putting into gear.
04ctd likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-04-2018, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These bikes do not have the traditional jiffy stand that the other harleys have and they will roll foward if not in gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page