LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-24-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Auxiliary Power

Hi all.
Is there a pig tail available that I can connect to an existing harness that will give me constant power and switch power? I am adding LED lights throughout the frame of the bike and want to put them on a relay and a toggle switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-24-2017, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
You could wire them off the Battery. Use a Fuse. Or you could access the Starter Relay. One wire has Constant Power(+) The side coming off the battery.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 12 Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I added usb ports to my bike to charge my phone while riding.
I originally hooked it up to the trickle charger connector but ended up booking a new one to it via the starter silinoid under the seat.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 Old 06-05-2017, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The Street does have an accessory connection behind the right side panel. I've read this has (fused) constant power. It is a six pin connector, I don't know the pin layout. HTH.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have just connected to battery terminals and hide it in the right hand cover the usb ports.
When I need it i just have a long enough wire and just plug it in the usb and attached to the handle satnav holder.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJO59 View Post
The Street does have an accessory connection behind the right side panel. I've read this has (fused) constant power. It is a six pin connector, I don't know the pin layout. HTH.
Before you go plugging into any connector make darn sure you know 100% what it is for. You do not want to join the list of those that fried an ECM. Do not even probe it with a tester. That connection is used as a Diagnostic Connector also where you would plug in a Power Vision type tuner. On the Street they refer to it as the DATA link connector it is not a power source.
Accessory connection have 4 pins one side always hot the other switch activated.
SIX pin connector is the CANBUS to the ECM (DLC) do not mess with that if you are not sure what you are doing.
Service manual electrical section show NO accessory connection of any kind.

Page B-2 Figure B-6 number 2 DLC item 91

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VCiLKj]

Last edited by smitty901; 06-17-2017 at 12:33 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
Before you go plugging into any connector make darn sure you know 100% what it is for. You do not want to join the list of those that fried an ECM. Do not even probe it with a tester. That connection is used as a Diagnostic Connector also where you would plug in a Power Vision type tuner. On the Street they refer to it as the DATA link connector it is not a power source.
Accessory connection have 4 pins one side always hot the other switch activated.
SIX pin connector is the CANBUS to the ECM (DLC) do not mess with that if you are not sure what you are doing.
Service manual electrical section show NO accessory connection of any kind.

Page B-2 Figure B-6 number 2 DLC item 91

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VCiLKj]
The HD branded 12V accessory plug that attaches to your handlebars plugs into the CANBUS plug. So when I installed my V&H FP3 I had to buy a CANBUS splitter harness (http://www.jpcycles.com/product/745-077). One plug for the 12V socket & one for the FP3. This is what the dealer installed; https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/handlebar-mount-auxiliary-power-port-pa-05-69200970--1. So HD does recognize the CANBUS port as a legitimate power source. What he would need to wire into the port is something like this: https://www.denniskirk.com/namz-custom-cycle-products/deutsch-sealed-connector-components-dp-6b.p211835.prd/211835.sku. However, like you said, be careful. I'd even have the dealer wire your harness to this connector.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyF View Post
The HD branded 12V accessory plug that attaches to your handlebars plugs into the CANBUS plug. So when I installed my V&H FP3 I had to buy a CANBUS splitter harness (NAMZ Custom Cycle Power Port Plug Y-Adaptor Harness | 745-077 | J&P Cycles). One plug for the 12V socket & one for the FP3. This is what the dealer installed; https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...05-69200970--1. So HD does recognize the CANBUS port as a legitimate power source. What he would need to wire into the port is something like this: https://www.denniskirk.com/namz-cust...prd/211835.sku. However, like you said, be careful. I'd even have the dealer wire your harness to this connector.
Do not go plugging any thing in to that DLC nimber 91 other than a proper tuner or a reader. As was posted by some one else it is not a power source. It looks like the accessory port tour bikes have but that is not what that one is for. You can toast your ECM doing so.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Harley has a cigarette lighter style charger for the Street that mounts to the handle bars. Not sure where it draws from.

"Life is like a grindstone - it'll polish you up or grind you down, depending on what you're made of" - Unknown
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
Harley has a cigarette lighter style charger for the Street that mounts to the handle bars. Not sure where it draws from.
Using the Harley kit you can plug into the port it is wired for 15A and is wired to the correct two poles. What happens is Do it your own way type get probing around in the DLC connector and short things out.
Part number 69200970 in black.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page