Battery Dead after Couple of Months - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Battery Dead after Couple of Months

Be aware.

My Street 750 has been unused for more than 2 months (cold weather starting to arrive and its not my primary motorcycle so it does not get ridden much, 1300 miles in 16 months of ownership). When I went to start it a week ago the battery was totally dead. No problem, I have a motorcycle battery charger/trickler. I found out the hard way that the battery on the Street 750 is literally buried inside of a battery box in the middle of the motorcycle under the seat, totally surrounded by electrical cables, relays, etc. It is the hardest battery to replace in any motorcycle I have ever owned. I did manage to expose the positive battery connector and attached a charger. I left it on almost 24 hours until the charger said it was in trickle mode. But, the bike would still not start; it still acted like the battery was depleted -- a lot of tic tic tic but no engine turnover.

The good news is, the bike is still under the 2-year factory warranty and the dealer feels the battery is probably beyond recovery. They are driving 50 miles to my house this week to pick the bike up and will probably replace the battery. Given how difficult it is even to access the battery connectors, I will have the dealer install a set of trickle battery leads so I can keep it charged when I'm not using the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-04-2017, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You want a battery tender, the street comes with a tender connector, they double as a slow charger, mine charges at 750ma until full then it drops to a trickle maintenance charge. So for a dead battery it would be 12 hours to full charge, not super fast, but works well enough.

I run the tender once a week if I have't ridden the bike. Many just leave it on, Pb batteries are fine being on a tender full-time.

There is a great video on how to get to the battery somewhere, I watched all three parts.

Last edited by Kurt; 12-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The battery tender Junior is the one I have (

). The junior is specifically aimed at motorcycles, and their smaller batteries, and it fits the Harley provided tender connector.

Last edited by Kurt; 12-04-2017 at 11:32 PM.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Easiest way to connect a Charger/Tender? Take the Seat off. Remove the left side panel exposing the coolant bottle. Hook the Positive to the Solenoid terminal on Right side(opposite Stand side). Ground Stud is under the Coolant bottle.

The Factory Battery from my 750 acts weird. 3 Charger/Tenders randomly fail it. And Abort the charge. Test with a Conductance tester, Passes. Put charger back on. Same issue. Use my 125A Load Tester. Passes. Put the charger back on, Charging like it should.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Last edited by Tucsonmax1; 12-04-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
my 2015 500 came with a pigtail that the charger/tender plugs right into,on the left side right in front of the shock. i'm gonna say get your service dept install one of those instead of dismantelin everything under the seat to get at the dam battery ....hel, even the service manual makes it sound like a two hour job just to get at the thing

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino
post #6 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 PM

Garage
Took me about 1/2 Hour to replace my Battery and Cables. I don't think its difficult. Just a bit of a Puzzle.

I bought a Hard Drive Lithium. Listed for a Sportster. Only weighs about 3 pounds. And adds about 100 CCA. NOTE: You need a Charger listed for Lithium. An AGM Charger/Maintainer will work. But can't be left on. As it wont switch to Maintain mode. May have to do with the internal resistance of the battery. Also installed the Sumax 4 Gauge cables. Found my Ground Stud had some corrosion.

2018 Custom 1200
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
The battery is not easy to get to, but you also don't have to remove it completely to install a pigtail. So long as you can get at the terminals, that's all you really need, so it took me maybe half hour or so to do.

Of course, Tusconmax1 had the best answer, in that you don't even have to go that far. When I installed the pigtail, there was nothing else on the battery terminals, so imagine my shock and surprise when I found that a pigtail was already on the bike(!) I had no idea, I found it hanging around by the passenger peg after I'd installed mine. Apparently they'd used Max's mounting method. I found out I preferred having two SAE ports anyway, so no big loss, I converted mine into a permanent USB connection for charging the phone, but still -- it was nice to find it was already there, so definitely check before going through the effort, and even then, the effort is notable but it's not necessarily THAT big a deal.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Hi everyone. I am having a similar issue, but think i am going to have to swap the battery out; on another old thread, someone mentioned that there are some good tutorials on here for that, but i can't find it, anyone got that bookmarked? Want to make sure i got a good tool list just in case.
Thanks,
post #9 of 13 Old 12-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Garage
My Tender Harness was Dealer Installed. When I replaced the battery, I just wired it directly. Just the like the Dealer did. My Suggestion was for anyone not wanting to completely remove the battery.

2018 Custom 1200
post #10 of 13 Old 12-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
My battery pigtail was also dealer installed. I have the Battery Fighter trickle charger, which has been great, but if I were to buy one today I would probably buy the Optimate 4. It has the Bulk Charge, Absorption, and Maintenance cycles like the Battery Fighter, but it also runs a load test after the battery has charged, so you know if your battery is holding the charge and delivering enough amperage under load.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page