ABS bleeding after mounting forward controls - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil13
  • 1 Post By Phil13
  • 1 Post By Tucsonmax1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ABS bleeding after mounting forward controls

Hello Street owners,

have any of you mounted the forward controls on XG750 2017 onward (equipped with ABS)? I'm thinking about installing this upgrade (I'm 186cm tall so "standard" position of controls is a bit problematic for me ) but would like to know how to bleed the ABS module afterwards. Is there any other way to do it properly (safety first) apart from going to HD dealer and spending quite a lot for their procedure using Digital Tech?

Apart from this- any suggestions about the upgrade kit available in UE? I noticed on eBay some sellers from Thailand but shipping cost is quite significant...

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
To quote from the Harley Workshop manual;

'When any hydraulic brake component, line or connection is loosened or replaced on an ABS motorcycle, Digital Technician II must be used during the brake bleeding procedure to verify all air is removed from the system. ....'

I don't know for certain why this is as I'm not the world's authority on ABS systems, however I think it's a dealer only job to bleed ABS brakes because the ABS module has valves in it which only open when emergency braking occurs and the wheels are about to lock up, these valves opening relieve hydraulic pressure on the brakes for a split second before the system closes the valves again to continue braking. This on off of the brakes continues while wheel locking is likely.

There is no way to replicate this valve opening for the home mechanic. Hence it's a trip to the dealer who connects the bike up to the workshop computer which tells the ABS to open it's valves.

For what it's worth the dealer will connect the bike to the workshop computer, connect both reservoirs up to a pair of brake fluid lines, open the bleed valves and bam, 'There you go sir, all done. Please pay (enter horrendous amount of money here).
autko likes this.

Last edited by Phil13; 02-20-2018 at 10:17 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
If you got any air in the system , it will need to go to HD .

post #4 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I was very afraid of such answers...

So maybe additional question- any interface that would enable to service it on my own?
post #5 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Doubt it autko, unless of course you are one of Microsoft's top boffins!

When I bought my 48 I considered changing the bars to a pair that would have required longer clutch, throttle cables and extensions for the bar electrics as well as a longer front brake line. I was quite happy to do it myself until the geezer working at the dealership mentioned the ABS problem. The quote for just labour, (For fitting all the above, plus brake bleeding) was 300! I decided that I really didn't mind the original bars after all.

By the way, where are you? Independent dealers in the UK should be able to carry out an ABS bleed, for a better price than a HD dealership.

Last edited by Phil13; 02-20-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil13 View Post
By the way, where are you? Independent dealers in the UK should be able to carry out an ABS bleed, for a better price than a HD dealership.
I'm in Poland and I'm afraid that will have to pay exactly the same for this 2min procedure. I don't think that there would be any independent dealer here (at least I'm not aware of such).

Funny thing- cheap bike but maintenance costs as for premium brand. Would certainly think twice if only I'd know this when was buying...
post #7 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 AM

I'm afraid regarding Europe we're all in the same boat irrespective of what make of bike you own, since the EU decided what was good for us, ie all bikes must have ABS. Personally, I think it should be the individuals choice, but there you go;
post #8 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well- I don't mind the ABS. I truly appreciate that my bike got it as this is quite useful feature when commuting in a city during rainy day (it is quite helpful at least). The thing that I complain about is that they made the bleeding procedure possible only by using their own interface (or at least it seems like this- still got the hope that there might be an alternative ) which means that I'd need to spend a lot for a simple thing on a "cheap" bike... Was a Suzuki owner in the past- they have more reasonable approach for such a things. On the other hand- there were also reasons why I bought Street not another Japanese bike and the price was only one factor

In a meantime I found this (which confirms what was stated above):
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/h...equipped-bikes
post #9 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autko View Post
...........Funny thing- cheap bike but maintenance costs as for premium brand.
, If the name Harley Davidson is on the bike you know your going to get shafted sooner or later.
autko likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
The Automobile ABS systems use a Scan tool as well. I seem to remember hearing it was to Activate the Valves inside the Hydraulic Control unit. I remember the Techs doing it when I worked at a Ford Dealer.
autko likes this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page