What is the fluid inside the connections on the voltage regulator? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
What is the fluid inside the connections on the voltage regulator?

Does anyone know what the fluid inside the voltage regulator is? I thought it was dielectric grease but after touching it, it feels like gear lube. Most of the fluid is on my garage floor now but I want to replace it before I put everything back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2018, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not sure if you are joking, or serious. the Voltage Regulator is a sealed unit. if it is leaking, the entire regulator has cracked and needs replacing. there is no refilling it. Be sure its not the oil filter leaking or on an ABS equipped bike its not leaking fluid from the pressure diaphragm.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am serious. When I disconnected the large gray connector it had an oily fluid inside. The black connector did not. My first assumption was oil since the voltage regulator is right next to the oil filter but I did not see any evidence of a leak.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
As Inky says, there is no fluid in a voltage regulator. If your Street has no leak from the oil filter, and no leak from the ABS module if fitted, and is charging ok, then you would have to assume at some time there has been a spillage. Has your bike had an oil change at some time? Maybe a small spillage when removing the oil filter or something along those lines.

If the regulator is not damaged, there is no oil leak, no brake fluid leak and it's charging ok, I would just clean up the connector and motor on.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page