LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
New handlebar

Decided to cowboy up and buy the 8" TC Bros mini-ape bar for my 750. I've got a beautiful afternoon to work on it, and I've done the studying of the service manual to make sure I can get it pointed in the right direction. I'm having a quick lunch, then I'll be breaking it all down. Only concerns at this point are if the stock wiring and cables are going to reach the new bar, though I saw somewhere someone did something very similar and kept stock hardware, so I'm sure it'll be just fine. Once I'm done, I'll post up a few pictures. And of course if I hit a snag, swear and throw a wrench across the parking lot of my apartment complex, I'll be back sooner.
Big Rus likes this.

"I could do this all day...."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So, small update. I say small because there should be more to say. Basically, the bar fits just fine, just that nothing else does. The control housings won't reach the bar, the clutch and brake assemblies won't reach the bar, just about nothing can remain stock to put this particular bar in.

So here's the bottom line: I'm going to make this one work, no matter what. Next time I pull it apart, I'm going to have new clutch, throttle and idle cables for longer reach. I'm going to have spare wire of the proper gauge, crimping and heat wrapping appropriate to each wire that needs to be longer, specifically I believe at least the brake light wiring pair, and the clutch sensor wire. The rest of the wires to the housings all seem to be long enough, and the front brake line seems to be more than sufficient to reach. So once I get the parts and a good day to make it work, I'll jump into round two.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ordered all the new cables today, just gotta figure out the wiring. Shouldn't be long now.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cables should be here Wednesday, got a roll of 16-ga wire, crimp connectors and heat shrink at Lowes today. I'm going to go back to basics on it, double check I didn't miss anything really major, and hope for a good weekend weather window to make sure I can get it wrapped up successfully. It'll be sick when it's done.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2018, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Can't wait for the final assembly and finished pictures.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page