LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-06-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Puff of smoke

So yesterday when I started up my bike for the commute back home, a puff of smoke with a “pfsst” sound came up from under the gas tank. Is that a sign of a gasket going and how concerned should I be? The only other time it happened there came a puff of white smoke from the tail pipe but I figured that was just condensation...now not so sure.

Sometimes the the bike also wants to die when trying to pull away after letting it warm up either before or after work. I have the 2016 model so not sure if it may be the fuel pump having issues?

I have limited mechanical knowledge so any suggestions/advice will be welcome from the experts out there! Especially since my warranty is up next month!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Not sure off hand what would cause that, but if you have a months warranty left, then use it up. Let Harley worry about the problem and the cost!
NightWolf5 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-06-2018, 05:07 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I thought it was only the 2015 model that had the fuel pump issue, so I don't think that is it. A puff of smoke, or possibly steam, could be a lot of things. Some of those aren't anything to worry about. Others are very, very bad if allowed to go on very long. Are you anywhere close to needing a scheduled maintenance? It may be best to get it to the dealer for a checkup even if you aren't.

Do you see any drips under the bike when it has been parked, or anything actively dripping at the end of a ride when the bike is warm?

Have you checked both the oil and anti-freeze levels?

Are there any smells when this happens? Is the smoke black or white? I'm looking for something that might give us an idea what it is.

Beneath the tank lies the entire engine and some wiring. It could be anything that leaks out of or onto a hot engine. Or it could be an electrical issue.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

post #4 of 6 Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Could be a Split/loose Breather Tube. Possibly an Oil Leak. Mine leaked twice(Under Warranty) at the Rear Cylinder. And dripped on the belt Guard.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat01 View Post
I thought it was only the 2015 model that had the fuel pump issue, so I don't think that is it. A puff of smoke, or possibly steam, could be a lot of things. Some of those aren't anything to worry about. Others are very, very bad if allowed to go on very long. Are you anywhere close to needing a scheduled maintenance? It may be best to get it to the dealer for a checkup even if you aren't.

Do you see any drips under the bike when it has been parked, or anything actively dripping at the end of a ride when the bike is warm?

Have you checked both the oil and anti-freeze levels?

Are there any smells when this happens? Is the smoke black or white? I'm looking for something that might give us an idea what it is.

Beneath the tank lies the entire engine and some wiring. It could be anything that leaks out of or onto a hot engine. Or it could be an electrical issue.

I just had the 10k mile service done. Other than needing new tires, all came back well. There are no obvious leaks and the levels are all good. (Will recheck in the am). The smoke was white. I’ll take it in to work again tomorrow and see what happens (100 mile commute). If there are any of the same issues I’ll take it in on Sat to have it looked at. Thank you for the response!

post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
Could be a Split/loose Breather Tube. Possibly an Oil Leak. Mine leaked twice(Under Warranty) at the Rear Cylinder. And dripped on the belt Guard.

I removed my belt guard a while back and did recently notice stains on the belt itself...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page