User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cable Failure

Went out for a ride today, had return line cable failure. Throttle felt really sloppy so I return home. I unbolted the assembly and saw the cable had snapped clean at the node. The other cable was about to go as well (See picture with fraying). Weird how they both are failing at the same time. I can't figure out why these cables are snapping.. I never messed with the tension, there was always around 1/8th inch play in the throttle itself. Bike is a 2016 Street, has 5200 miles on it and is kept in a garage through its entire life and has never seen rain. The only thing I can think of is the Kuryakyn grips I installed.. its the only thing affecting the cables that isn't OEM. I haven't heard anything bad about the grips related to the cables. How long are these cables suppose to last and could it be the aftermarket grips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2019-01-02_15-01-00.jpg (46.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2019-01-02_14-59-35.jpg (65.8 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltage640 View Post
Went out for a ride today, had return line cable failure. Throttle felt really sloppy so I return home. I unbolted the assembly and saw the cable had snapped clean at the node. The other cable was about to go as well (See picture with fraying). Weird how they both are failing at the same time. I can't figure out why these cables are snapping.. I never messed with the tension, there was always around 1/8th inch play in the throttle itself. Bike is a 2016 Street, has 5200 miles on it and is kept in a garage through its entire life and has never seen rain. The only thing I can think of is the Kuryakyn grips I installed.. its the only thing affecting the cables that isn't OEM. I haven't heard anything bad about the grips related to the cables. How long are these cables suppose to last and could it be the aftermarket grips?
Those cables look "dry" meaning when was the last time they were lubricated? I have Kuryakyn grips on my bike and have not run into this issue. My dealership lubricated the cables when I brought my bike in for service check(s) at the recommended mileages.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo750owner View Post
Those cables look "dry" meaning when was the last time they were lubricated? I have Kuryakyn grips on my bike and have not run into this issue. My dealership lubricated the cables when I brought my bike in for service check(s) at the recommended mileages.
I lubricated the ends when I installed the grips maybe 1500 miles ago, before then they were never lubricated. When I installed the new grips they had no fraying or signs of excessive wear. I cleaned them off for the picture as they were covered in grease still when I pulled them off the bike. I had my clutch cable snap on me mid-ride stranding me awhile back (Due to over tightening), so I made but I made sure to lubricate the throttle cables as well... I used Valvoline Full Synthetic grease on the ENDS of the cables, could this have caused the cables to fail instead of using cable lube? Does the entire cable need to be lubricated regularly with cable lube?

post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Cable Lube is supposed to trickle down inside the Jackets. All the different brands I saw were aerosolized oil. Maybe your cable was binding somewhere??

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
Cable Lube is supposed to trickle down inside the Jackets. All the different brands I saw were aerosolized oil. Maybe your cable was binding somewhere??
It had to have been somewhere.. no reason why these cables prematurely broke otherwise. My next set will be lubricated with oil change intervals. I know the clutch cable I purchased from Magnum Shielding has a sleeve around the cable and requires no lubrication but the throttle and return cables don't. Lesson learned I suppose.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page