Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Tall boy seat

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cappy1966 
#1 ·
Does the tall boy seat make a significant difference in the seating position to justify its cost?

#2 ·
It's always better to check in your neighborhood whether you don't have a shop which makes custom motorcycle seats or rebuild them/make custom covers. Usually they do it for vintage or sport bikes but they will be more than happy to earn money on such a simple project :). I did it this way and for 700PLN (ca 180USD) I have a bit higher seat with position moved back a bit (close to Tallboy) BUT superior to HD product due to:
=> better quality of used material

=> gel pad installed (improved ride comfort)
=> it's looking much better IMHO: customized to your taste and to look best on your motorcycle ;)

below you have two pics of my XG750. in my opinion it looks better than with tallboy, that would cost much more than I spent...

Attachments

#3 ·
I think that autko has the right idea about checking with a local shop. I bought the Tallboy seat for $165 IIRC from Surdyke. It made the difference between being able to ride the bike or not, as I am 6 feet tall with a lot of padding in the rump pushing me forward. It's still a bit cramped and the H-D Tallboy doesn't try to improve on the padding of the original seat.

Most dealerships seem to have a few demo seats that you can try, but that might only be for the bigger bikes.

#6 ·
I have the tall boy seat and an airhawk inflatable on my bike. At 6' the tallboy helps but the airhawk almost fully inflated makes a big difference. I'm usually hurting after an hour of riding if I have a leak and can't use my airhawk. I think the biggest help from the tallboy is the shift backwards and the airhawk upwards. I'd like to put forward controls to help seating position.

#7 ·
I'm 5'9" and feel cramped on the 750 Street. I Just put on the tall boy seat. It feels much stiffer than the original seat. It does improve the seating position and cramped feeling. I still wish the foot pegs were lower my knees are still above the tank. If I were 6 feet tall, I would not enjoy riding this bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.