Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

No tail lights and fuse 6 blowing up

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ramo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Have a bit of an issue with my tail lights not working due to a short that keeps blowing up fuse number 6 (lights and instruments 10 amp).
All the rest works, indicators and front all good.
I took the seat and tail off and with the help of a friend, a multi-meter and a few 10A fuses, we managed to narrow the problem to a socket and harness that connects to the rear lights harness.
Basically there is current passing inside the socket and if we take two opposite pins out it still passes, so in our opinion, either there is a short in the harness or there is "something else" causing this.
Here are some pics and hope anyone could help as the HD Dealer "only" takes £99/hour :(
They say however that an electrical problem is usually diagnosed between 1 - 2 hours, so that's alright I guess :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :nerd:

#3 ·
Step 1 is look. take seat off look for any wire worn and shorting. Take seat off look real good try not to move any wires at first. Next step might be to unplug harness for rear lights see if it blows if it does you know issue is before that point. If it don't it is behind it.

#4 ·
Hi smitty901,

Yes, we done that and figured it out that it was behind that point.
Finally I gave up and took it to a local bike mech. The short was caused by a faulty connection in the front led headlight that I'd previously changed myself. Expensive mistake I must add...
Perhaps this might be useful for someone at least.

Thanks for your suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.