Weird noise from rear wheel assembly - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tucsonmax1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Weird noise from rear wheel assembly

Hi fellow HOG members,

I have a 2014 XG750 which was working fantastic till last month. Had worn out rear brake pads so got a pair of EBCs. Fast forward by a month and I suddenly started hearing screeching noise from the rear assembly. It's not the brake pads as I replaced them already and they've run enough to not be in break-in phase. Also its not a continuous or cyclic noise so definitely not the brakes. The sound is similar to what you hear when walking with wet slippers. Have noticed it mostly when riding around 20kmph with cold engine & tires. The service center fellow says its because of the tire wear (yes, its time I need to replace the rear tire) but I'm not convinced its the tires.

Anyone else had similar experience? Or could suggest what could be wrong and causing the noise? Again, its not cyclic or continuous or dragging noise, its just similar to "pach pach" you head with wet rubber slippers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
I think the assumptions may be correct - it's likely to be your tyre.

Have you any way of lifting the rear (i.e. do you have a centre stand?) as the most obvious thing to do would be to spin the wheel and listen for any noise - by having the wheel spin EVERYTHING that is normally being moved when the bike is running along will be moving so it could easily be narrowed down.

You say it's not the pads? When you hear the noise try applying the rear brake - if after that the noise stops then IT IS the pads - they could be rubbing when they are in a particular position - did you grease the pins when you replaced the pads so that they can return easilly?

It's simple really to eliminate things - if nothing is rubbing on the wheel / tyre, the brakes / disc isn't rubbing, the wheel bearings aren't grinding, the drive belt is running smooth and the back axle pin is ok then it could only be tyres. If, as you say, the tyre is in need of replacement anyway I would just bite the bullit and get it done.

Would be nice to get your response to what it is when you do find out

Botty

Last edited by Botty; 01-09-2020 at 08:18 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Would not be uncommon for it to be rotor. They get dirty bits of metal causing that Clean both side real good see it it goes away . It may come back but that will give you an idea of what maybe causing it

post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
One day I was washing my 15 750. Had it on the jack cleaning the wheels. Soon as I started turning the Rear tire, Squeak. Before I put any water or soap on the wheel. Called the dealership. The writer heard the noise over the phone. Had me bring it in the next morning. Didn't do it. Fortunately I used my cell phone and recorded the noise. As soon as I played it for the Tech, He grabbed the rear wheel and started shaking. Never did find anything. Noise never came back. Traded the bike for my 2018 XL1200C.
singhrobbie likes this.

2019 Hyundai Kona SE Surf Blue

2018 Custom 1200 Black Tempest
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botty View Post
I think the assumptions may be correct - it's likely to be your tyre.

Have you any way of lifting the rear (i.e. do you have a centre stand?) as the most obvious thing to do would be to spin the wheel and listen for any noise - by having the wheel spin EVERYTHING that is normally being moved when the bike is running along will be moving so it could easily be narrowed down.

You say it's not the pads? When you hear the noise try applying the rear brake - if after that the noise stops then IT IS the pads - they could be rubbing when they are in a particular position - did you grease the pins when you replaced the pads so that they can return easilly?

Don't really have a paddock stand or any other means to lift the bike. There's a dealership less than half a mile away from my place so I could try there on the weekend.

Tried the brake pads experiment by applying the brakes while it was still squeaking, no change to the sound. I didn't grease the pads but the bike was serviced recently so I believe they would have done it.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
Would not be uncommon for it to be rotor. They get dirty bits of metal causing that Clean both side real good see it it goes away . It may come back but that will give you an idea of what maybe causing it

The noise is different from the high pitched sound that squeaky brakes make but I'd still give it a shot. Have shifted to a new place where I share a parking space and can't work on the motorcycle. Would try it once I get my own parking place. Hopefully by next week.