Recall letter from Harley Davidson - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By HDGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to bmoothedan
(Thread Starter)
Recall letter from Harley Davidson

I heard about the petrol tank issues with the Street 750 through one of my WhatsApp group. Someone in Delhi got a recall letter from Harley Davidson. Apparently with certain batches of Streets built in India, the petrol tank has a potential fuel leakage problem from the tank cap. Some folks have complained about not being able to close it properly. I've not had any issue with mine so far but I too got a recall letter on Friday (26th September). I've been asked to visit the HD workshop in Pune to get my bike inspected for the recall issue. It shouldn't take more than an hour they said and if there is a problem, depending on the availability of a new defect free petrol tank, I might get the bike right away or it might take days until one is available.

I've fixed an appointment for tomorrow with the workshop. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope my Therapist does not have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't received any recall letters but have read of the gas caps not fitting properly. I've got the impression that if it doesn't fit right the owner knows it but I had no problems with mine at all. Apparently it has to do with the tank filler tube not being correctly positioned when welded into the tank making it too low for the cap to properly seat and lock into place.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
But is this problem only affecting Indian HD Streets? No need to worry if you have a Street in NA?

post #4 of 7 Old 09-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Got my letter today!! Havent open it yet but says its the recall on the outside.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-30-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to bmoothedan
(Thread Starter)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoothedan View Post
I've fixed an appointment for tomorrow with the workshop. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope my Therapist does not have a problem.
All went went with the inspection. No problems with the petrol tank of my Street. I was told that so far the HD workshop checked 4 Streets and none had issues. For the test, they fill the tank up with petrol up to the brim and close the tank lid. Post that they bank the bike in either direction to check if the leak occurs. Spent just 20 minutes at the workshop this morning and then headed to my office.

Other things that I had small complaints about:
1. The rubber mounts that hold the front indicators have come lose. Since it's rubber, nothing can be done. The indicators won't fall off but might come out of regular position. Little disappointed to be told that nothing can be done.
2. The left and right control panels that have the indicator and headlamp switches on them have a slight play. That too is apparently a standard problem.

Hopefully these issues will be fixed in the next gen Streets.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
it's the downside of being an early adopter but I rather deal with problems like this than to wait for something that's been perfected. Waiting is tough
bmoothedan likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuy View Post
it's the downside of being an early adopter but I rather deal with problems like this than to wait for something that's been perfected. Waiting is tough
Its a risk you take as an early adopted, but its also fun to have the product before everyone else. Worth it most of the time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page