Street owners suck (Just Kidding) - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By gijoey
  • 1 Post By AYEDEE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-03-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Street owners suck (Just Kidding)

Not really folks (just wish there was more info out here so get to it folks). I just bought my 750 and enjoyed everything except the freaking color. Had to go with the funky red since it was the only one available in all of Hawaii. No worries I said to myself, I'll just plastidip it like I have other stuff. Did some research and no luck on finding topics on tank removal for a Street. Lots of media on other HDs, which made it look so simple. Not so lucky with my project since there is a hose that ties both sides of the tank that goes under the frame. Lost interest in disconnecting anything else and just covered up the bike. I'm on my second coat of spray with several more to go. Really hope someone else learns how hard it is to remove the fuel tank so I don't feel so bad. Actually, I just want to finish and ride again.

Here are some before pics:
ImageUploadedByMO Free1412385044.254315.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1412385080.774082.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by gijoey; 10-04-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-04-2014, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoey View Post
Not really folks. I just bought my 750 and enjoyed everything except the freaking color. Had to go with the funky red since it was the only one available in all of Hawaii. No worries I said to myself, I'll just plastidip it like I have other stuff. Did some research and no luck on finding topics on tank removal for a Street. Lots of media on other HDs, which made it look so simple. Not so lucky with my project since there is a hose that ties both sides of the tank that goes under the frame. Lost interest in disconnecting anything else and just covered up the bike. I'm on my second coat of spray with several more to go. Really hope someone else learns how hard it is to remove the fuel tank so I don't feel so bad. Actually, I just want to finish and ride again.

Here are some before pics:
Attachment 4305
Attachment 4313

Hey GIJOEY, just because you didn't get the colour of your choice doesn't mean that we all suck. Anyway, welcome to the forum and let me remind you, we don't Suck. Well, all the best with your project. Hope you get your bike to look like you want it too. Secondly, there are some seriously talented members here working on their bikes who are extremely knowledgeable and will be able to help you.... If you ask nicely.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not really folks.

As a moderator I changed your title to include "(Just Kidding)" because we really don't want to have offensive posts on this forum. I hope you don't mind because your statement did indicate that you really were just kidding. I did want to explain that for your benefit as well as others.

StoneFree

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Not so lucky with my project since there is a hose that ties both sides of the tank that goes under the frame. Lost interest in disconnecting anything else and just covered up the bike. I'm on my second coat of spray with several more to go. Really hope someone else learns how hard it is to remove the fuel tank so I don't feel so bad. Actually, I just want to finish and ride again.
The hoses are attached with disposable clamps that have "buttons" that fit into holes. Find the end of the clamp (you can feel it) and simply use a thin bladed screwdriver to pry it up and it will open the clamp. Once the clamps are removed pull the hoses. There is a quick disconned fitting (like a air hose) under the tank for the fuel hose to the injectors. Remove the rear bolt holding the tank down and lift a little to reach the wiring disconnects for the fuel pump and, wa-la, the tank will lift right off. You'll need to use conventional hose clamps for re-assembly because I think the special disposable clamps require a special tool for installation.

post #5 of 10 Old 10-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
The red looks great. Great job with the paint. I especially like it in contrast to the rest of the bike being black.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-04-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry about giving the wrong impression. No offense meant. Just a combination of heat and frustration. All is good. Thanks also for the advice too. Will try that out if I'm not happy with the first try.

StoneFree and AYEDEE like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Sorry about giving the wrong impression. No offense meant. Just a combination of heat and frustration. All is good. Thanks also for the advice too. Will try that out if I'm not happy with the first try.

Old saying, "No Harm, No Foul" LOL

It took about 10 minutes for us to removed the fuel tank and the key was in figuring out how to release the clamps. The next hardest part is actually pulling the rubber fuel lines of the tubes. LOL The elecrtical disconnects weren't hard but they are up underneith the tank and it's hard to get my big hands in there.

post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well I'm done for now. As happy as can be for what I was able to do.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1412465696.690401.jpg
Again, thanks for the comments and looking forward to others sharing their projects.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Appears to be great job done. I am sure you will be a happy rider now.
In any case, don't mind my tirade earlier, if that is how it appeared. I was also just kidding.
StoneFree likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Well I'm done for now. As happy as can be for what I was able to do.
Attachment 4337
Again, thanks for the comments and looking forward to others sharing their projects.

That looks great to me!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page