40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 123 Old 10-17-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lag and Leap

I haven't heard much about the lag and leap issue that the Streets seem to exhibit when low on fuel, does anyone know if the factory is addressing this issue? Has this been a pretty wide-spread issue that others have experienced?

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlOnWheels View Post
I haven't heard much about the lag and leap issue that the Streets seem to exhibit when low on fuel, does anyone know if the factory is addressing this issue? Has this been a pretty wide-spread issue that others have experienced?
Well, I have only read about it on the forum. Haven't experienced it myself, nor has this been reported to our local dealer so far, since I asked him about it.
post #3 of 123 Old 10-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have not experienced this issue and I don't know any owners here who are seeing this issue.
Some owners who received the earlier lot have experienced tank leak issue and Harley is doing a recall for those lots.

post #4 of 123 Old 10-18-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
any idea if they have the issue narrowed down to some production date range of the HD street?
post #5 of 123 Old 10-19-2014, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuy View Post
any idea if they have the issue narrowed down to some production date range of the HD street?
Here it is

Report Receipt Date: SEP 05, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V536000
Component(s):

All Products Associated with this Recall

Details

4 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
SUMMARY:

Harley-Davidson Motor Company (Harley-Davidson) is recalling certain model year 2015 XG500 and XG750 motorcycles manufactured June 11, 2014, to August 14, 2014. The fuel tank filler neck may be insufficiently flat, preventing the fuel cap from sealing properly. CONSEQUENCE:

If the fuel cap doesn't properly seal, fuel may leak, increasing the risk of a vehicle fire. REMEDY:

Harley-Davidson will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the motorcycle and test to see if fuel can leak from under the fuel cap. Any motorcycle that leaks fuel from under the fuel cap will have its gas tanked replaced, free of charge. The recall began in late September 2014. Owners may contact Harley-Davidson customer service at 1-800-258-2464. Harley-Davidson's number for this recall is 0161.

Got the details from Go to http://www.safercar.gov/

Turbosam likes this.

Last edited by meph1st0; 10-19-2014 at 01:27 AM.
post #6 of 123 Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've experienced this problem and recently brought my 750 in to get looked at. It was to the point where I didn't even want to ride it anymore. It also felt like it was going to quit on me while riding if I wasn't going around 50mph. They told me that the problem was due to a sheared flywheel key.
post #7 of 123 Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It happens to me when I accelerate from a light when I have about .9 gallon left. Very annoying. If I'm on the highway and going in a straight line, I have no problems-- it's the stop/start that does it.
post #8 of 123 Old 10-30-2014, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All owners of the Street should make a complaint to nhtsa. Search on google and make a formal complaint. I hate to be the hard ass...but this is a serious concern when HD markets the bike to "new" riders. I've been riding most of my life and it took skills to avoid a crash when the first "lurch" happened to me. I have only owned the Street for 3 days and was surprised when the first lurch happened to me with slightly lower than 1/2 tank of fuel. HD needs to stop selling the Street series bikes until they fix this safety issue.
post #9 of 123 Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I submitted my complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

This was the problem I described:
"With roughly .9 gallons of fuel in tank, when leaving a full stop, vehicle pauses hard on acceleration. Probable cause is fuel starvation caused by fuel flowing back in the tank, away from the front-located fuel pump, starving EFI system of gasoline. As fuel moves forward after a brief pause in forward momentum, the pump has access to the fuel and the bike suddenly lurches forward. This happens multiple times as the fuel in tank travels forward and aft. Extremely unsafe condition at low speeds, especially at intersections when this is most likely to occur."

Feel free to copy and paste if this is similarly happening to anyone else. I went to my dealership and they were not helpful. I seem to remember one member having this issue and then getting it resolved. Does anyone have any insight into that?

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #10 of 123 Old 11-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
I've experienced this problem and recently brought my 750 in to get looked at. It was to the point where I didn't even want to ride it anymore. It also felt like it was going to quit on me while riding if I wasn't going around 50mph. They told me that the problem was due to a sheared flywheel key.
I've had both issues...took my bike in at about 900 miles.
1. The "leap/Lag"
2. Fuel issues at low speed and it cutting out a traffic lights.

The "leap/Lag" happens from time to time leaving a stop light or rounding a 90% corner. Typically when I "get on it" so to speak. I recall being about 120miles into the tank. Still happens from time to time.

I was getting frustrated. Only ran okay at 50mph or more. The low speed issues and cutting out was was failed Woodruff Key. I have a new engine now and about 600 miles into it...things seem much better. Sucked breaking in another engine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page