Neutral Indicator / Difficulty finding Neutral - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Neutral Indicator / Difficulty finding Neutral

Hi All -
I've got about 35 miles on the Street 750, but have had difficulty finding neutral. Previous attempts to get the bike into neutral from either 1st or 2nd were tricky and often took me several tries. I thought this was just because I was new to the bike, but yesterday I decided there is a problem.

Right now the bike is in Neutral and the neutral indicator is off - This is a problem, right?

I suspect this is something that can be adjusted, but I have not called the dealer yet to discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I think while you wait for a response here that it might be a good idea to call the dealer, might get a faster response to this question.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruIsRAD View Post
Hi All -
I've got about 35 miles on the Street 750, but have had difficulty finding neutral. Previous attempts to get the bike into neutral from either 1st or 2nd were tricky and often took me several tries. I thought this was just because I was new to the bike, but yesterday I decided there is a problem.

Right now the bike is in Neutral and the neutral indicator is off - This is a problem, right?

I suspect this is something that can be adjusted, but I have not called the dealer yet to discuss.
it could be something as minor as a small adjustment to your gear control that is not make the indicator indicate. give them a call.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"

post #4 of 33 Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Make sure you are in first. You can find a "neutral" between 3rd and 4th. Hard to find but it is there.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #5 of 33 Old 12-16-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
difficulty finding neutral is a symptom of clutch plate drag in a high proportion of cases , you can try tightening the cable to open the plates further when you pull the lever , remember to keep a tiny amount of cable free play , if it doesn't work adjust it back and see dealer as somethings wrong inside , hope it helps . kbull
post #6 of 33 Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruIsRAD View Post
Hi All -

I have had the issue of no "N" on the ODO even when the bike is in neutral - especially when I have ridden it a while- I suspect this may have to do with the magnetic switch that detects the neutral position.The dealer replaced the switch during my first service and it has been * marginally* better, occasionally not indicating neutral-- I suspect this is a design issue rather than an individual bike problem and Harley needs to address this!
post #7 of 33 Old 02-11-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Takes me 4-5 tries to find N, sometimes I just give up.
post #8 of 33 Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Mine has 10 miles and is also difficult to get in neutral. The salesman got it into neutral easily four times in a row. He said it's just tight because it's new.

I have noticed it's easy to get into neutral with the ignition off.
Solo750owner likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I've noticed that it's much easier to get into neutral when the bike is still rolling, even slightly. If I'm already at a stop in 1st, I'll put upwards pressure on the selector, give a bit of throttle and let the clutch out slowly until it clicks into neutral.
ChrisC likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We have 48 miles on it. Yesterday, she took it around the block and it would not down shift.
I was able to get it into N but after shifting to first then to second was not able to get back into 1st.
I also have an issue with it starting easily coming off trickle charger.
Calling the dealership today.

'15 HD Street 750- Cafe Racer
Custom Paint
Vance & Hines Exhaust

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page