Belt tracking at 1000 mile check - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PatLav

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Belt tracking at 1000 mile check

While performing my 1000 mile check I notice I had a belt that was not tracking as it had earlier in the life of the bike. I found a picture of the bike at approximation 700 mile and I have included a picture at just under 1000 miles.

You can see the belt has moved to the right side of the sprocket. I put the bike on a stand, loosened the belt, moved it over to the left hand side, adjusted the belt tension, and checked the alignment. Everything being spot on I did many spins of the wheel and it returned to the same position on the left.

Thinking I did something wrong I had the dealer service it and they had the same results. The dealer called the Harley factory to find out if this was an issue. Harley reported back that several other dealers had called in with the same concern. Harley determined that each belt would have a different track to settle in and this was not an problem that needed to be corrected. The engine sprocket has a ridge on each side of the belt to keep it in place and the belt traveling on the rear sprocket was not a safety issue. I was concerned it would travel off the sprocket while riding. I still have this lingering in my head.

I noticed on other Harley model the rear sprocket has ridge on both sides to keep the belt in place.

Have any of you all noticed this or had any experience?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000 mile check.jpg (93.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg at ~ 700miles.jpg (147.8 KB, 60 views)

Have a Peachy Day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 PM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
I have over 4000 miles on my bike and haven't had no issue with the belt. I will be checking my rear sprocket to compare it to yours.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Not having perfect tracking of the belt could be acceptable but based upon the photo it's more than just a little bit off. If they're saying that it's the belt I would question that and tell them to put on a different belt to see if that problem goes away. Don't let them talk you out of fixing the problem because that much misalignment isn't normal and is unacceptable from a customer perspective.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update, problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Not having perfect tracking of the belt could be acceptable but based upon the photo it's more than just a little bit off. If they're saying that it's the belt I would question that and tell them to put on a different belt to see if that problem goes away. Don't let them talk you out of fixing the problem because that much misalignment isn't normal and is unacceptable from a customer perspective.
The Dealer stuck to the same position, that Harley said this was OK. I got my reference number and called Harley, they stuck to the same story and told me they would not send a bike back that was at all dangerous.

Today the dealer delivered my bike to the house in the afternoon and the belt was back to the position it was when I bought it. I took it out for a 20 mile ride and it stayed in the same position. Do not know how this magic happened but the bike is as it should have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (115.7 KB, 36 views)
StoneFree likes this.

Have a Peachy Day.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLav View Post
The Dealer stuck to the same position, that Harley said this was OK. I got my reference number and called Harley, they stuck to the same story and told me they would not send a bike back that was at all dangerous.

Today the dealer delivered my bike to the house in the afternoon and the belt was back to the position it was when I bought it. I took it out for a 20 mile ride and it stayed in the same position. Do not know how this magic happened but the bike is as it should have been.
Glad to hear they fixed it even if they used magic. LOL

It reminds me of when I worked for Boeing with MHI and KHI that supplied major components for the 767. We'd identify a problem with their assemblies and they would swear up and down that they didn't have a manufacturing problem but the problem would magically disappear on future shipments.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLav View Post
While performing my 1000 mile check I notice I had a belt that was not tracking as it had earlier in the life of the bike. I found a picture of the bike at approximation 700 mile and I have included a picture at just under 1000 miles.

You can see the belt has moved to the right side of the sprocket. I put the bike on a stand, loosened the belt, moved it over to the left hand side, adjusted the belt tension, and checked the alignment. Everything being spot on I did many spins of the wheel and it returned to the same position on the left.

Thinking I did something wrong I had the dealer service it and they had the same results. The dealer called the Harley factory to find out if this was an issue. Harley reported back that several other dealers had called in with the same concern. Harley determined that each belt would have a different track to settle in and this was not an problem that needed to be corrected. The engine sprocket has a ridge on each side of the belt to keep it in place and the belt traveling on the rear sprocket was not a safety issue. I was concerned it would travel off the sprocket while riding. I still have this lingering in my head.

I noticed on other Harley model the rear sprocket has ridge on both sides to keep the belt in place.

Have any of you all noticed this or had any experience?

My bike is doing this same thing. Mine actually tracked to the right around 200 miles. I would keep checking it and it stayed right on the edge. I recently checked it and it started to go over just a bit. I'll be bringing this to the attention of the dealer when I take it in for the 1000 mile. I just hope I don't get that little run around with the dealership like you did.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
My Belt Tracks on the other side of the rear sprocket. The Right side has some Fraying of the Cords. Dealer said "Normal" when I showed a picture.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200