• 1 Post By adrena

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2015, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Regearing sprockets

Has anyone tried to reduce the number of teeth on the rear sprocket? I'm seriously thinking of making the bike run a slightly higher cruising speed and this would be one of the first things to do. If you guys know where to buy this from I'd be glad to try.
Haulin on a Lo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2017, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
i'm currently looking for an automotive/motorcycle machine shop that can fabricate a smaller wheel sprocket and/or a larger drive sprocket for a little more top end, but without going too radical , while still being able to use the stock drive belt. I have put on a smaller wheel sprocket on my 82 FLH,but installation on a chain drive was a little bit simpler, being able to open and close the chain via the master link. i'm seein' a little more operation with this one piece belt bein installed,not to mention the chrome plating on the teeth (to reduce abrasion?)... and..beware of adding or reducing too many teeth, as it may cause clutch problems if you do too much city ridin.So... a replacement wheel sprocket from the dealer is $ 174, and the front one is $82, if i were to take them to my machinist so he could copy them... AND, i'm still lookin for a possible complete belt to chain drive conversion for these XG's ..yall let me know if you hear anything,huh?

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino
post #3 of 9 Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since you can't change the belt length AFAIK, best bet is to increase front by a tooth or two, and decrease the back by the same number of teeth. That's easy on many chain-drive bikes, since the aftermarket for sprockets is so large.

But I don't find anybody making sprockets for the street 750 that I can find.

Then again, I don't find the gearing to be woefully low like many bikes I have owned in the past.

So far of the four bikes I have owned, two were geared fine, and two needed major upgearing. I include the Street as one that seems to be geared decently. At least it doesn't feel like it is revving super high at 70 mph.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I'd love to drop one or two teeth on the front sprocket. I'm not holding my breath with the sales nature of the Street line. Aftermarket parts like that will probably never be produced.

'06 VRSCR
'10 XR1200
'14 FXDL
'18 FXFBS
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Spill the beans then Scooter, what have you heard regarding (Presumably) US sales?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2017, 01:01 PM

There are not enough being sold for aftermarket companies to invest in the engineering and/or tooling for such items. They combine the Street and Sportster sales together. Both make up less than 20% of yearly sales.

'06 VRSCR
'10 XR1200
'14 FXDL
'18 FXFBS
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2017, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Oh, right. Looking on the bright side that should save me some money then!

Did I read or imagine the Sportster is Harley's best seller? I suppose it's longevity is why we're knee deep in aftermarket parts for them. So only another 50 odd years to go for the Street / Rod then.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2017, 07:27 AM

I used to think the same thing being that they were the lowest priced in the lineup. Nope, it's the touring bikes if I recall correctly.

'06 VRSCR
'10 XR1200
'14 FXDL
'18 FXFBS
post #9 of 9 Old 12-22-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
Has anyone tried to reduce the number of teeth on the rear sprocket? I'm seriously thinking of making the bike run a slightly higher cruising speed and this would be one of the first things to do. If you guys know where to buy this from I'd be glad to try.
I did something close. Switched from a 15" rear to a 17" rear rim. That added about 4% higher cruising speed. No changes in the pulley.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page