13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Difficulty Downshifting

Total of 20 miles ridden on our off-the-showroom new 750. Two days ago, she practiced riding around the neighborhood after work and returned to tell me it wouldn't downshift. I finally got it back into neutral (see other post about that issue) and took it around the block. I was able to shift up with no issue but it would NOT downshift.
HD came out to look at it and even the tech/porter had the issue.
They called today and said "nothing is wrong with it"..that is just needs to be "broken in".
I've ridden for 12 years. I started with a brand new 650 metric and then quickly went to a VROD which I ride since 2006. I have never had that problem except when my hydraulic clutch went out on the V.

I consider being unable to downshift safely a problem.
They are keeping the bike to "put some more miles on it" because "its just part of the break in period".

This sound right?
Haulin on a Lo likes this.

'15 HD Street 750- Cafe Racer
Custom Paint
Vance & Hines Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I'd tell them to come and break it in for you then and adjust the clutch while they're at it

Have you ever tried shifting bikes without using your clutch? With the RPM's in the lower range and without much load on the engine, slightly blip your throttle and kick down a gear. These things have an anti slipper clutch in them, so in theory you should be able to downshift without the clutch and without your back wheel hopping on you but, I haven't really broken mine in yet to start messing around with the mechanics. It's the same concept as slipping your gears in a manual transmission and using your throttle to rev match.
Rock270 likes this.

Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

www.youtube.com/user/haulinonalo
post #3 of 23 Old 03-20-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. Funny you bring up anti slipper clutch. I actually ran the aim clutch in my VROD so I am familiar with that.
They just need to adjust it. I could see too that the shift rod seemed like it was installed wonky. It had some play in it.
I was unable to downshift the peg and it didn't matter how much I engaged the clutch level.
A tad disappointed with the position the service desk is taking.

'15 HD Street 750- Cafe Racer
Custom Paint
Vance & Hines Exhaust

post #4 of 23 Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrzzz View Post
I consider being unable to downshift safely a problem.
They are keeping the bike to "put some more miles on it" because "its just part of the break in period".

This sound right?
While the gears do break-in it shouldn't have caused a real problem with downshifting. If they're going to ride it a bit to break in the gears then fine but it had better downshift without any problems when they're done.

While I'm a very aware rider and rarely get into emergency stopping situations I have and there is one simple fact. I've never had time to downshift when doing a panic stop! The failure of the motorcycle to downshift properly is a serious mechanical problem but it's not really a safety issue.

Note: On finding neutral I had a problem initially in finding it from 1st gear but it was easy to find neutral from 2nd gear. After about 800 miles of riding (transmission break-in) it became relatively easy to find it from either 1st or 2nd gear.

AYEDEE, Rock270 and SgtTDC like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Last edited by StoneFree; 03-20-2015 at 05:17 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrzzz View Post
A tad disappointed with the position the service desk is taking.
Oh you're not alone dude. I know guys who have bought $40,000 CVO's and the dealer has told them to go pound sand on certain issues, only to eat crow a couple months down the road while they fix their shoddy and known issues. Best thing I could suggest is be persistent with the service writer and the guy who wrenches on your bike.
Rock270 likes this.

Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

www.youtube.com/user/haulinonalo
post #6 of 23 Old 03-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Problem in down shift is a problem indeed. The gear shift mechanism must function as it is designed to operate. No matter how new the bike, the gears should be able to be shifted no matter what. Running in or breaking in will make the shift smoother, that's all. Please insist on the bike being attended to and the issue rectified by your dealer.
Rock270 likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-21-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
imagine if you just bought a brand new car and driving it home you couldn't get it to select gears would you accept that the car needs breaking in ? , what a load of utter crap , in all the new motorcycles ive purchased over the years ive never had one where the gearbox didn't function , in all the bike magazines all over the world have you ever heard of any of the millions of new bike test rides where the magazine,s tester couldn't get it to select gears just because its new ?
ffs! what ridiculous customer service .
Solo750owner and Rock270 like this.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-21-2015, 09:22 PM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbull View Post
imagine if you just bought a brand new car and driving it home you couldn't get it to select gears would you accept that the car needs breaking in ? , what a load of utter crap , in all the new motorcycles ive purchased over the years ive never had one where the gearbox didn't function , in all the bike magazines all over the world have you ever heard of any of the millions of new bike test rides where the magazine,s tester couldn't get it to select gears just because its new ?
ffs! what ridiculous customer service .
Didn't the dealership check out the bike when they received it? Well we did have a member whose engine had to be replace because of a part left out. Whose the say that the same thing didn't happened in the transmission of this bike.
Irie and Rock270 like this.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-14-2015, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Hmm post "died", I imagine the clutch needed a lil bit of adjusting. Just be patient a little bit as there are growing pains at the dealerships with these bikes and the fact it is a new design all around for the techs too.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Yes our dealer too is still learning more about the street models, maybe not so willing though, lol

But they do seem to care, everyone from the owner, GM on down has been great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page