Rear brake problems 750 $ accelerator cale - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bbally
  • 2 Post By bbally
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear brake problems 750 $ accelerator cale

Hi guys,
Recently a lot of people have been having brake failures and brake issues of the rear brake. Apprently, due to the positioning of the assembly being between the silencer and wheel, high temperatures result in thinning of rake fluid making it less effective.
Also a 750 owner with a 2 month old 750 had his accelerator cable snapped. And he has been told there is no replacement warranty for the cable.. funny..

can anyone share any similar experiences..
kvgpal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvgpal View Post
Hi guys,
Recently a lot of people have been having brake failures and brake issues of the rear brake. Apprently, due to the positioning of the assembly being between the silencer and wheel, high temperatures result in thinning of rake fluid making it less effective.
Also a 750 owner with a 2 month old 750 had his accelerator cable snapped. And he has been told there is no replacement warranty for the cable.. funny..

can anyone share any similar experiences..
Have you validated your assumption on the thinning of the oil being the root cause of brake failure ???

I don't think so... If this is the case , many bikes in Delhi/Hyd or dry summer cities would have a lot of failures.

I had a complete failure of the rear brake and it was fixed by replacement of the part by the dealer ..
Subhasis is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
bbally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Can only say mine has never had any problems. But mine is built in the USA so quality may a lot better than the units built in India. Especially from some of the stories that keep being posted. Seems like it is hard to get good materials and quality workers there? Is that the case? Can anyone comment on manufacturing abilities of workers in India?

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider



2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
bbally is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Junior Member
 
majorra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Never experienced it. Summarizing multiple threads about issues/problems with 750 - my take on it - there probably are local manufacturing issues in India. All I can think of. I have yet to see so many issues reported in the US. Zilch or close to that.
majorra is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
Can only say mine has never had any problems. But mine is built in the USA so quality may a lot better than the units built in India. Especially from some of the stories that keep being posted. Seems like it is hard to get good materials and quality workers there? Is that the case? Can anyone comment on manufacturing abilities of workers in India?
I think that's an unfair assumption. There is a huge industry based on manufacturing and supplying parts to some of the most prestigious brands around the world in India. To name a few, Mercedes, BMW, amongst cars and Omega, Rolex amongst watch makers. Obviously, HD also would not have set up a manufacturing base here, had that been the case.
There are complainants from all around on this forum including the U.S. There are issues no doubt, but such issues are to be expected on a new machine. The first couple of years are also treated as observation period by all manufacturers to enable them to understand the nature of problems being faced by users. Some problems are due to design factors, which in theory are good but behave differently in real life. Then of course are manufacturing issues. in my opinion, the nature of problems being reported on this forum are largely by new users of STREET 750 who are upgrading from smaller bikes. Therefore, there is a question of comparing apples to oranges and having certain expectations in terms of performance, especially braking. Secondly, the placement of turn signal switch and the rear view mirrors are design factors and have nothing to do with workman ship or quality of material. These are designed and placed where they are by HD and there is no doubt there are issues with there placement on the handles which make them awkward to use.

Last edited by AYEDEE; 04-19-2015 at 09:02 AM.
AYEDEE is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Junior Member
 
majorra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Moderator,

I really think it's about time to split this forum into 2 - US and India. Posts from India are just so not relevant...

It's making it's hard to filter relevant info from irrelevant.

Regards,


Mike
majorra is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
bbally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
I think that's an unfair assumption. There is a huge industry based on manufacturing and supplying parts to some of the most prestigious brands around the world in India. To name a few, Mercedes, BMW, amongst cars and Omega, Rolex amongst watch makers. Obviously, HD also would not have set up a manufacturing base here, had that been the case.
There are complainants from all around on this forum including the U.S. There are issues no doubt, but such issues are to be expected on a new machine. The first couple of years are also treated as observation period by all manufacturers to enable them to understand the nature of problems being faced by users. Some problems are due to design factors, which in theory are good but behave differently in real life. Then of course are manufacturing issues. in my opinion, the nature of problems being reported on this forum are largely by new users of STREET 750 who are upgrading from smaller bikes. Therefore, there is a question of comparing apples to oranges and having certain expectations in terms of performance, especially braking. Secondly, the placement of turn signal switch and the rear view mirrors are design factors and have nothing to do with workman ship or quality of material. These are designed and placed where they are by HD and there is no doubt there are issues with there placement on the handles which make them awkward to use.

No assumption was made. A question was asked. I agree India is a growing manufacturing area.

While I allow for design performance ... Brakes don't grab enough is most common... I also allow that putting double discs on such a light bike would surely bring a large amount of I dropped my bike because the front wheel locked. So I don't could design features against anyone.. It is what it is drive it.

But I read an great amount of quality issues that are inspection related, assembly related, that show a normal distribution skewed from one factory verses the other.

As an engineer to me it points to a serious problem that may need discussed rather then the constant cover of Harley did it. Because Harley does it hear too and we don't see it. We have seen a design flaw in the gas tank, and seen a few parts in fuel pumps that had a normal distribution of operators. But a lot of the fitment issues and assembly failures we have not experienced, I am would like to hear reasoning for this.
AYEDEE likes this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider



2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
bbally is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
 
bbally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorra View Post
Moderator,

I really think it's about time to split this forum into 2 - US and India. Posts from India are just so not relevant...

It's making it's hard to filter relevant info from irrelevant.

Regards,


Mike

At this time we will not separate the site. We have created separate rider areas in the forum. But do not hold them as who can or cannot post in them.
AYEDEE and ryoung048 like this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider



2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
bbally is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
500/750 Rear Brake Adjustment Obtuse Harley-Davidson Street General Discussion 20 09-20-2018 04:48 PM
Issue with Rear brake assembly kvgpal India 12 11-22-2015 09:42 AM
Rear Brake on 500 ozlittlegiants Harley-Davidson Street General Discussion 8 05-22-2015 12:15 PM
Brake Pad Replacement ryoung048 Harley-Davidson Street Parts & Accessories 6 04-17-2015 12:55 AM
Brake light modulator marian Harley-Davidson Street Parts & Accessories 3 12-16-2014 12:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome