New Street 750 Won't start - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-18-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Street 750 Won't start

Hey guys my bike won't start & I need some troubleshooting tips.

It's a brand new 2015 Street 750, I've had it for a month. I was out riding today, when I got home and pulled the bike up the driveway the engine stalled. Possibly my fault I might have let the clutch out too quick. Well when I went to hit the start button I got nothing. The bike won't turn over.

I was thinking that maybe I flooded the engine because the driveway is on an incline and I may have had the throttle open slightly when I when to re-start it. But I'm not sure if that's the problem.

Well anyways after messing with the bike all afternoon I can't get it to re-start. I checked the fuses and they look okay. I pulled one of the spark plugs and it seemed to be okay. I'm no mechanic but it looked okay, just a little white.

I have a Vance & Hines Fuel pack so I checked the trouble codes on there and no codes are showing up.

The bike has gas, it is in Neutral, I put the run switch on and turn the ignition on. The lights and horn work so it's not the battery, you can hear the fuel injectors priming, I hit the start button and just get some clicking but the motor doesn't fire.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss and it's a brand new bike so shouldn't be having any problems. I went for a 5 mile ride with no issues until it died in the driveway and wouldn't re-start.
JJD-Street is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 04-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
charlesskelter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Have you tried bypassing the starter solenoid to see if the solenoid might have gone bad?
charlesskelter is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 04-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
StoneFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cottonwood AZ
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Five will get you ten it's a loose wire somewhere probably on the starting circuit or it could even be a bad switch. I'd just call the shop and let them pick up the motorcycle and fix it. It's not a biggie problem and unlikely to re-occur once fixed.



AYEDEE likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
StoneFree is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Junior Member
 
cobaltberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD-Street View Post
Hey guys my bike won't start & I need some troubleshooting tips.

It's a brand new 2015 Street 750, I've had it for a month. I was out riding today, when I got home and pulled the bike up the driveway the engine stalled. Possibly my fault I might have let the clutch out too quick. Well when I went to hit the start button I got nothing. The bike won't turn over.

I was thinking that maybe I flooded the engine because the driveway is on an incline and I may have had the throttle open slightly when I when to re-start it. But I'm not sure if that's the problem.

Well anyways after messing with the bike all afternoon I can't get it to re-start. I checked the fuses and they look okay. I pulled one of the spark plugs and it seemed to be okay. I'm no mechanic but it looked okay, just a little white.

I have a Vance & Hines Fuel pack so I checked the trouble codes on there and no codes are showing up.

The bike has gas, it is in Neutral, I put the run switch on and turn the ignition on. The lights and horn work so it's not the battery, you can hear the fuel injectors priming, I hit the start button and just get some clicking but the motor doesn't fire.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss and it's a brand new bike so shouldn't be having any problems. I went for a 5 mile ride with no issues until it died in the driveway and wouldn't re-start.
Were you able to get this figured out? I have an issue where mine would randomly stall when at a light or in neutral. I took it into the dealer, and after test riding, it won't even start for them. They've replaced the fuel (thinking it was bad) and the fuel injectors. The computer is coming back with no errors, so they're at a loss right now. I've got a total of 206 miles on my 750. Really hoping they can figure it out soon.
cobaltberry is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just got it figured out a few minutes ago but not really.

I went and bought a battery charger and had it charging all day and over night. I just went out to the garage to try and start it again and it fired right up. So I'm at a loss for what happened.

I was running a GPS during my ride, so I'm wondering if that killed the battery. Have any of you guys ever heard of that happening?

Kroggy just posted another thread with this same issue his bike won't start either. Let us know what the dealer says cobalt. I'm wondering if I need to bring mine in for service now.
JJD-Street is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Junior Member
 
cobaltberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I keep mine on a battery tender Jr, so I doubt it's a battery thing. I'll be sure to update this when I know.
cobaltberry is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Beauty and the Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD-Street View Post
Just got it figured out a few minutes ago but not really.

I went and bought a battery charger and had it charging all day and over night. I just went out to the garage to try and start it again and it fired right up. So I'm at a loss for what happened.

I was running a GPS during my ride, so I'm wondering if that killed the battery. Have any of you guys ever heard of that happening?

Kroggy just posted another thread with this same issue his bike won't start either. Let us know what the dealer says cobalt. I'm wondering if I need to bring mine in for service now.
I had this issue once, it was the fuse on the pigtail to my battery had blown due to a power outage at my house, I now have my battery tender plugged into a APC that have 2 hours of power if my power goes out.
StoneFree likes this.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"
Beauty and the Beast is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
 
StoneFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cottonwood AZ
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and the Beast View Post
I had this issue once, it was the fuse on the pigtail to my battery had blown due to a power outage at my house, I now have my battery tender plugged into a APC that have 2 hours of power if my power goes out.
Interesting because I'd never thought of using an APC but then again I don't have a fuse on my pigtail to blow and I've never heard of a motorcycle battery being damaged by a power surge through a trickle charger.




Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
StoneFree is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Junior Member
 
cobaltberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Just got a call back from my dealer. After all day on the phone with Harley tech support, it's the rotor that controls engine timing. Some of the teeth sheared off. They're replacing the entire engine. Looks like I'll have my bike back mid-next week.
AYEDEE and Rock270 like this.

Last edited by cobaltberry; 04-22-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
cobaltberry is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Beauty and the Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Interesting because I'd never thought of using an APC but then again I don't have a fuse on my pigtail to blow and I've never heard of a motorcycle battery being damaged by a power surge through a trickle charger.
My battery was not damage, the fuse on the pigtail blew which is what I am told is the purpose of it to prevent damage, either way, it works for me to have it on the APC for my peace of mind.
StoneFree likes this.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"
Beauty and the Beast is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Harley Won't Produce the LiveWire... Livin On Other Harley-Davidson Motorcycles 10 09-22-2014 04:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome