Bike Cranks But Will Not Start - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Bike Cranks But Will Not Start

Last month I purchased a street 750 and have about 23 miles on it. Last saturday I was going to take it for a ride but could not get the bike to fire. It cranks but will not start. Since last month when I start it for the first time that day it takes about 4 or 5 tries before it stays running. One thing I did notice on saturday is that I do not hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key to on. When I turn the key to on and the speedometer lights up and sweeps the speedometer needle I can hear a electric pump run for a few seconds. Now I do not hear it anymore, I checked the fuses and they are all fine. The dealership picked up the bike and will look into it.
I will update you when the dealership gets back with me on a diagnosis. But if you have troubles starting your bike for the first time of the day may want to get it looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Kroggy will you let us know what the dealership says? I had the same issue this weekend.

I was out riding and then when I got back I couldn't get it to start. I went and bought a battery charger and had it on the charger all day yesterday and last night. Just went out to try and start it and the bike fired right up.

I was running a GPS during my ride and I'm thinking that it killed the battery while I was out riding. Maybe your battery is low too, it seems like it needs a full charge to turn the bike over.

Were you running any electronics on your bike? I'm having the same issue though 30 miles on the bike and only a month old. :-(
post #3 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
They problem was a short in the engine kill switch on your right hand grip. They told me this is the second bike that they have had this on. So two things here to note:
1. Did not start
2. Did not hear the fuel pump prime when the ignition key is turned on.

Also they told me if your bike is not starting right away in the morning it may be due to the lack of pressure in the fuel tank. So open up your fuel cap to vent the air pressure in the tank and it helped start right away.
StoneFree and Solo750owner like this.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I run a battery tender on my bike and it cranks normally. It turned out to be a short in the switch in your right hand grip. It appears to me that the switch looks like a standard Harley switch. Looking at other Harley's in the dealership makes me think that so the switch replacement was a quick repair. I just hope I got a better quality switch.
StoneFree likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggy View Post
I run a battery tender on my bike and it cranks normally. It turned out to be a short in the switch in your right hand grip. It appears to me that the switch looks like a standard Harley switch. Looking at other Harley's in the dealership makes me think that so the switch replacement was a quick repair. I just hope I got a better quality switch.
It was just a defective switch and that's pretty rare. I might be one of the minority but I never use the kill switch unless I absolutely have to. I've just never gotten into the habit and always use the key.

AYEDEE likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-14-2016, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone have the issue where it'll crank and crank but not start? I went out on a ride and stopped at a local Doner place, delicious by the way we need them in the US, and i went to head out, and not start. Turned the key off, waited 5 min, turned the key and she started up. It's only got 70 miles on it, but that seem odd to me. The fuel light came on 10 miles later, but i doubt that is the culprit.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-14-2016, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
i have it crank crank crank and almost start but immediately stall out. have to pull over to the curb and wait it out till it cranks starts and stays running.

i assume it is a fuel issue, as gasoline here in Philippines tends to be of dubious quality

2008 VRSCDA, locked in storage
2015 XG750 made in India
both Vivid Black
Honda Wave125 daily scooter
post #8 of 13 Old 06-14-2016, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
My issue is not so much in it not starting but staying running. It's a minor, but still annoying, issue. When the motors cold it will start right up, immediately ramp up and then settled back down into normal operating RPM. The problem is it doesn't stop when it hits normal operating RPM, it dies out. If I start it when it's cold I have to either hold the starter button in for a second or two after it fires or immediately rev the engine up with the throttle. It's only when it's cold. It's almost as if it's got a pinhole somewhere in the fuel delivery system and it sucking air into it. However it doesn't leak fuel or anything, it's just like it's losing its prime. It has to be shut down for at least several hours for this to happen. The only way to re-create it, at the dealer, is to leave it overnight. I will mention that to the service department
I've been and see what their take is on it. It never did that when I first got the bike, but started as I got closer to the thousand mile mark.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-25-2016, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I have only had one incident where I pulled out of my driveway, went about 25 feet down the road and the bike died and would not start again. I flicked the kill switch off and on and it started right up. I assumed I must have accidentally hit the switch while riding, but maybe these switches are defective. Also, keep in mind that 2015 models have a recall on the fuel pump.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-26-2016, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have had a couple of incidents now where the bike won't fire up when I try to start it in first gear with the clutch all the way in. Putting it in neutral allowed me to start no problem. I think my clutch needs adjusting, so hopefully when I take it into the dealer for the 1000 mile service on Monday they will take care of the issue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page