Air Filter Inspection and change - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Air Filter Inspection and change

Yesterday after work, I decided to change the air filter on my Street 750. I noticed that the housing was loose. After removing the nuts to pull the filter off, I quickly noticed that one of the 5mm bolts had back out almost half way. I took both bolts out, applied some blue thread locker to both and reinstalled. The other thing that had me scratching my head was that motor oil was sitting in the bottom of filter canister. Now, I know that oil can be used around an air intake filter to help trap dirt but never have seen one on a motorcycle. So I wiped out all the oil and placed about the same amount with some 10-40w I have for my other motorcycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150506_180311.jpg (228.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20150506_180245.jpg (243.2 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2015, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo750owner View Post
Yesterday after work, I decided to change the air filter on my Street 750. I noticed that the housing was loose. After removing the nuts to pull the filter off, I quickly noticed that one of the 5mm bolts had back out almost half way. I took both bolts out, applied some blue thread locker to both and reinstalled. The other thing that had me scratching my head was that motor oil was sitting in the bottom of filter canister. Now, I know that oil can be used around an air intake filter to help trap dirt but never have seen one on a motorcycle. So I wiped out all the oil and placed about the same amount with some 10-40w I have for my other motorcycle.
That's a good input. It's worth checking the tightness of bolts all around and yes, any grade of engine oil will do. Usually, the same grade as used in the machine is used purely from convenience point of view.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo750owner View Post
The other thing that had me scratching my head was that motor oil was sitting in the bottom of filter canister. Now, I know that oil can be used around an air intake filter to help trap dirt but never have seen one on a motorcycle. So I wiped out all the oil and placed about the same amount with some 10-40w I have for my other motorcycle.
The motor has breather tubes that vent from the motor into the air cleaner housing. A little oil in the air box is perfectly normal, especially from the pictures you show. Clean it out and leave it dry.

Chris

Harley-Davidson Service Advisor
Street 500/750 Safety Recalls/Product Programs/Non-Compliance Recalls:
-2015 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREET FUEL TANK - SAFETY RECALL 0161
-2015 STREET LICENSE PLATE REFLECTOR REGULATORY NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL CODE 0620
-PRODUCT PROGRAM 0919: 2015 STREET MODELS RIGHT SIDE RIDER FOOT CONTROL MOUNTING SCREWS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page