Need help in changing Exhaust - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help in changing Exhaust

Hello Friends,
I recently got myself a Street 750. Want to try a different exhaust I got from someone.
Just want to know if there is anything I need to be cautious about when replacing a exhaust? Any small parts or washers? Anything that can screw up something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
U must be aware, if you use any exhaust other than screaming eagle, chances are your service dealer may void your warranty.

check with him & other service centres before you do it. Meanwhile i am getting my bike tommorow. (excited)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitshahtech View Post
U must be aware, if you use any exhaust other than screaming eagle, chances are your service dealer may void your warranty.

check with him & other service centres before you do it. Meanwhile i am getting my bike tommorow. (excited)
I just want to try it for few days. If I change back to old exhaust before I take it for service, will it still be a issue?

post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Of course, let the bike cool off before working on it. Check your tools ahead of time, I had to go to the auto parts store mid install, as I didn't have a deep socket that was required. Be patient taking the existing pipe off. Twist and pull straight back only. Avoid scratches by taping or covering parts of the pipes.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanx a lot for help Obtuse ... Though I am riding since long but have nil technical knowledge.
- What is a deep socket ? do I need one?
- Is there any lock mechanism inside that require silencer to be twisted? Which side it needs to be twisted?
- Can I damage something in the process of removing and attaching?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Bhargava View Post
Thanx a lot for help Obtuse ... Though I am riding since long but have nil technical knowledge.
- What is a deep socket ? do I need one?
- Is there any lock mechanism inside that require silencer to be twisted? Which side it needs to be twisted?
- Can I damage something in the process of removing and attaching?
The deep socket was for a bolt underneath the pipe, I think it was 10mm, not sure. My regular sockets were not long enough to get over the bolt. There is nothing tricky about this. Once the bolts are out (you can see them clearly), wiggle and twist a bit while pulling back on the pipe. Take your time, and don't force the pipe off axis, or you will bend stuff.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
, wiggle and twist a bit while pulling back on the pipe. Take your time, and don't force the pipe off axis, or you will bend stuff.
Slowly wiggling back and forth is the way to go - It took me about ~5 minutes of back and forth and slight twisting to get the exhaust free.

Another tip - Make sure you give enough time for everything to cool down before starting. That stuff gets HOT!
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitshahtech View Post
You guys have some tight dealers! Glad the dealership I work for is very mod friendly. We do a lot of performance mods/customization/dyno tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruIsRAD View Post
Slowly wiggling back and forth is the way to go - It took me about ~5 minutes of back and forth and slight twisting to get the exhaust free.
You can also spray a little spray lube where the pipe slips on and will help remove it as well. We do that often. just make sure you clean it all off and the bike is cold.

Chris

Harley-Davidson Service Advisor
Street 500/750 Safety Recalls/Product Programs/Non-Compliance Recalls:
-2015 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREET FUEL TANK - SAFETY RECALL 0161
-2015 STREET LICENSE PLATE REFLECTOR REGULATORY NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL CODE 0620
-PRODUCT PROGRAM 0919: 2015 STREET MODELS RIGHT SIDE RIDER FOOT CONTROL MOUNTING SCREWS
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for tips guys .... but the exhaust is stuck. It comes out about 2 inches and then get stuck. I tried twisting, rotating, pulling but unable to take it out.
Any more suggestions?
Will try to find spray lube at auto store.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDServiceAdvisor View Post
You can also spray a little spray lube where the pipe slips on and will help remove it as well. We do that often. just make sure you clean it all off and the bike is cold.
Chris
Great advice. Do make sure everything is CLEAN before running the bike again. Oils and contaminates on the surface of the exhaust can discolor the finish if they are not cleaned off completely before things heat up.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page