2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bigger Tires

I have read that the tire size was specifically made to ensure excellent handling on the street, has anybody added bigger tires? If so, how is the handling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsol04 View Post
I have read that the tire size was specifically made to ensure excellent handling on the street, has anybody added bigger tires? If so, how is the handling?
I haven't added bigger tires, but I can think of two major effects..
1. If the diameter changes, then handling is affected majorly, since the CG of the bike becomes higher as well as the turning radius increases. The actual impact can be felt on riding. In addition the odometer and the speedometer readings will become inaccurate.
2. The drag will increase leading to reduced pickup and higher fuel consumption. Of course this effect is majorly felt with wider tires.
Hope this helps in answering your query.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the reply !

It's probably not worth it for a daily driver is it ?

I liked the look of a bigger front tire/wheel

post #4 of 15 Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Depends on what you mean by "bigger". Wider? Taller?

I would dearly love to have the option to run 18's front and rear for a better looking bike, more choices of rubber, and a better turn in with a properly shaped sportbike tire. Most importantly, the 15 out back is just, it's just awful.
charlesskelter likes this.

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #5 of 15 Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Ayedee - With a larger tire, the turning radius does not necessarily increase. With our bikes in particular, it would allow for the ground clearance our bikes lack, allowing for heavier turn in and thus decrease the necessary turning radius. I also believe it would positively impact handling, making it feel much more solid and planted in turns than it currently does. If I can ever find out exactly which hubs everyone is using to put spokes on their Street, I'll be upgrading to 18" wheels front and rear. The only down side will be the inaccurate speedometer and tripometer.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-11-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Howlonwheels- I was thinking taller maybes 18s like you said or maybe 18 rear 19 front. As far as wider, l can see myself maybe going a little wider on the rear tire, nothing too crazy
post #7 of 15 Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have below option in mind:
1) Front: 110/70 x 17 ( Michelin or Pirelli both have many such options in this size)
2) Rear: 150/90 x 15 (Preferably Michelin Commander 2)

The above two sizes wont affect much in GC and turning but infact aid in more traction and ride quality. Plus tyres like Commander 2 are far better than original Michelin or even MRF which are supplied with Street sold in India.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-11-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sandyp- that's definitely a good option
post #9 of 15 Old 06-13-2015, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
Ayedee - With a larger tire, the turning radius does not necessarily increase. With our bikes in particular, it would allow for the ground clearance our bikes lack, allowing for heavier turn in and thus decrease the necessary turning radius. I also believe it would positively impact handling, making it feel much more solid and planted in turns than it currently does. If I can ever find out exactly which hubs everyone is using to put spokes on their Street, I'll be upgrading to 18" wheels front and rear. The only down side will be the inaccurate speedometer and tripometer.
I won't disagree with you since I have made no changes and therefore haven't experienced any such impact. I was only talking theoretically. Seems you may have a point as I can imagine a possible decrease in turning radius. However, having said that, an 18 inch wheel would require greater force and therefore a change in the sprocket to get the required energy to counter the additional drag. Aesthetically, I totally agree it will give the bike a more sporty look. Whether it feels more solid and planted, well, I'll take your word for it.
I would love to hear from you and all others who make such transitions about the handling and feel of the bike after these mods.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was very unhappy about the lack of replacement tires available, especially for the rear 15" rim. I hated the OEM rear tire because of its flatness across the tread. I did a lot of searching and researching and determined that the best solution, for me, came from Shinko. For the front I went with the SR 740, 110/70H-17 and in the rear the SR 568, 160/60H-15. Both are wider than stock, but a little shorter, as well. Speedometer, checked against a GPS app on my iPhone, is relatively unaffected,p but the odometer, checked against my buddy's Night Rod, showed about 4% more than his. Despite those minor discrepancies, I couldn't be happier with my choice. They fit well, look great, handle incredibly well (wet and dry) and the cost for both was less than what the front Michelin costs. A LOT less. If I only get 5,000 miles from them, I come out ahead, but I expect to do better than that.
Solo750owner likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road'll get you there."
-George Harrison

2017 Street Rod
1996 Ducati 900SS CR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page