tire letters template needed - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
tire letters template needed

I've been working on painting the letters on my tires with a paint pen.
I first used blue painters tape to outline the letters.
my old hands are too shakey to keep the paint from running off the letters. from a distance it looks good, but up close you can see the imperfections, and i'm a bit OCD about things like this.

is there anyone that can make a "reuseable" sticky template for the tires letters?

one that can be firmly placed over the tire letters, front and back, that would make painting these tire letters much cleaner and more precise?

if this template could be made and if it would work, i'd bet one could sell quite a few of these and make some pretty decent money on the side.

they could sell these templates along with tire paint pens with different color choices, that would be awesome!

I actually ordered the paint pen in orange (off of ebay from Hong Kong ...............but they sent me white!) grrr.!

do we have any enterprisers out there that can do this?

Last edited by Rock270; 06-29-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I believe there is rubber stickkers on letters available from Tire Stickers.com, not sure if they can make for you?
post #3 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Rock

I just had a look at your bike in the gallery, it looks amazing!!

How did you manage to do the tire lettering? It looks really neat in the picture..

I purchased the white lettering pen from Harley but haven't built up the courage to give it a go yet..

Also, I have a similar idea regarding the racing stripes on my Street, but i want to go for a white on black theme. Are yours sprayed on? I was thinking that a custom gloss vinyl sticker would be cheaper and also easier to get rid of if i got sick of it. Any thought?

I apologize for hijacking your question without providing any useful insight regarding your query. Just got excited when i saw the lettering in your picture.

Thank you.

Kyle

post #4 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffa View Post
I believe there is rubber stickkers on letters available from Tire Stickers.com, not sure if they can make for you?
i'll check them out, thanks!
post #5 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle brits View Post
Hi Rock

I just had a look at your bike in the gallery, it looks amazing!!

How did you manage to do the tire lettering? It looks really neat in the picture..

I purchased the white lettering pen from Harley but haven't built up the courage to give it a go yet..

Also, I have a similar idea regarding the racing stripes on my Street, but i want to go for a white on black theme. Are yours sprayed on? I was thinking that a custom gloss vinyl sticker would be cheaper and also easier to get rid of if i got sick of it. Any thought?

I apologize for hijacking your question without providing any useful insight regarding your query. Just got excited when i saw the lettering in your picture.

Thank you.

Kyle
first off, thank you!

second, no problem, I don't have any problem answering any questions whether it pertains to the current topic or not. it's ok!

(I do however, have a different post about this racing stripe and where I got it from.) just look for the "orange racing stripe" post and you will find the info there also.

this racing stripe is made of a good quality vinyl and can be bought in different sizes or colors. I only paid $10 for it and is shipped free!

I wanted a stick on stripe so it could be removed later if I wanted to change the look.

I put this on myself, but a professional from a graphics shop would be do a much better job than I did. I think they wanted like $30 to install it. but I'm on a limited income and try to save money anywhere I can. sometimes that bites me in the behind though...lol.

anyway, there is a few tiny bubbles in the stripe that I hope will come out after it gets some sun on it for a few days. I was able to get out the bigger bubbles by using a tiny stick pin from my wifes sewing kit that helped me to rub out the bigger bubbles.

the graphics shop uses a spray solution when they install stripes that apparently makes it easier to install and without any bubbles.
hind sight being 20/20 I should have paid them to put it on.

if you do install it yourself, place painters tape first to use as a guide for the strip. go very slowly and rub any bubbles out as you lay down the stripe. be very careful on curves, again by slowly and carefully rubbing the stripe into place without creases or bubbles. it's a bit tough but can be done with patience.

and oh boy, painting the letters is a slow and painful process. there is another post that I seen about their project bike where they did the white letters. it appears they did a really good job.

but the way I did it, I wouldn't wish that job on anyone!

. ..and I only have done the back tire so far, the letters on the front tire is much smaller and i'm very doubtful it will come out any better than the back tire.

I appreciate any replies or questions at any time.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I started on my front tire and realized this is going to be a multi coat multi day pain in the butt borderline worth it job. A template would be awesome. Fortunately for me when I took my bike in for the 1,000 mile service someone in the shop must have been bored because when I picked up my bike Harley was white on both sides front and back which was a very pleasant surprise!
Rock270 likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
If you like to ride your bike, don't do it. Won't last nite than a month before getting dingy brown from oils in the tire. No choice but to do it over and over. It may least longer if just sitting.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Looking good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock270 View Post
I've been working on painting the letters on my tires with a paint pen.
I first used blue painters tape to outline the letters.
my old hands are too shakey to keep the paint from running off the letters. from a distance it looks good, but up close you can see the imperfections, and i'm a bit OCD about things like this.

is there anyone that can make a "reuseable" sticky template for the tires letters?

one that can be firmly placed over the tire letters, front and back, that would make painting these tire letters much cleaner and more precise?

if this template could be made and if it would work, i'd bet one could sell quite a few of these and make some pretty decent money on the side.

they could sell these templates along with tire paint pens with different color choices, that would be awesome!

I actually ordered the paint pen in orange (off of ebay from Hong Kong ...............but they sent me white!) grrr.!

do we have any enterprisers out there that can do this?
Bike is looking good.
HD sells good tire paint pens.
It is a labor of love in other words an all day job.
Looks good in white also.Nice stripes.
Rock270 likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Tire lettering

We spent over half a day on the tires.
Be prepared if you are about to take this on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150615_181123.jpg (261.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20150615_181051.jpg (214.7 KB, 22 views)
post #10 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcmoto View Post
We spent over half a day on the tires.
Be prepared if you are about to take this on.

I am trying to figure out what is the R on the xg750r as everywhere else I see it listed as xg750 without an R.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page