find out when your warranty runs out! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
find out when your warranty runs out!

My bike is at the dealer for a bad rear master cylinder and it WOULD have been under warranty, but the warranty only went until 6 weeks ago. Bad luck, huh? I didn't know, since I'd bought it used.

GOOD NEWS IS I HAD ALREADY PURCHASED A GOOD MASTER CYL, USED OFF EBAY, FORM A 2 K BIKE AND THE DEALER IS GOING TO INSTALL THAT. << SORRY FOR CAPS, TOO LAZY TO RE-TYPE.

I inquired about the cost of completely re-doing the rear brake with 2016/17 stuff and was quoted in the mid-$800 range.
For now I think I'll just go with a healthy new MC, and see how it goes.

Other great news, the indy Harley-only shop down the street will work on the Street! I was almost afraid to go in and ask, because they seem kind of old school. But they said "sure". So that's gret.

The dealer's not bad - it's just for rich people is all. The young man helping at the dealer could not possibly be nicer or more helpful.

So if you're close to your warranty date: make sure you know when it actually is!!!!!!

btw, getting the fuel pump recall at no cost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-08-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
MORE!!!!!!! now they call me back and tell me the new/used master cyl. off a 2 k bike does not "work" either. So I must pay $250 or so for a new one. Getting rid of those no good 2015 parts while they can, I suppose.
I feel bent over and ****** without lube.
I will never darken their doorway again.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-08-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Why no offer to re-build either MC for me??????????? As far I know, there ARE rebuild kits......

this is the L A S T time I enter that south Tampa/PalmaCeaia connected all good ol boy millionaire managed place.
I HATE them!
They amake me, little Em, have hate in my heart. Normally I have no hate, but obviously I've been double raped now. REBUILD THE F_CKING MASTER CYLINDER(s) goddam it! People do it all the time.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about that man. I feel like this is a pretty simple job that an indy shop should do for you no problem. Did the independent shop refuse to put the use MC on it? There is probably someone out there willing to work with you and rebuild the master cylinder and install it. Unless it cant be repaired for some reason?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-20-2016, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow, sorry I didn't realize I had ranted so bad. Bike is still at dealer.
I just need to eat it this time, and after that take it to the Indy guy up the street.

At this dealer, they just now figured out they needed to order a different rotor to do the upgrade. Maybe this is the first time they've done this.
Sure hope it's worth it.

Front brake I'll do either myself or at the indy place, just adding the Brembo caliper at first.
The reason I mentioned know when the bike's purchase date is. My bike is registered as a2015 with under 10k miles. So my bike must have been bought in 2014, in order for it to be out of warranty.

Can't wait to get it home. Can't wait to have a rock solid, reliable back brake.

Anyway, sorry for the big rant before. ��
post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2016, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that 2nd master cylinder is actually ok, but they don't want to install a customer supplied used part.
After having the recall stuff done maybe I should have just taken the bike to the Indy guy right away. To be honest, I don't trust these master cyls. A couple of my Sportster friends have also had frequent master cylinder rebuilds. Ours are similar to the Sporty ones.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page