Dealers purging Rider Academy bikes? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-03-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealers purging Rider Academy bikes?

As of August 2018, Zylstra H-D in Ames, IA is throwing in the towel as far as Rider Academy. They are blowing out little used, but probably frequently dropped, 2016 xg500's for $3,499. These include all of the guards for training bikes, but painted black. They seem to use a more normal engine mount than I've seen on other RA bikes. Instead of attaching to the lower radiator guard screws they use the lower engine mount bolts.

Outlaw H-D in Blue Springs, MO and Dillon Brothers in Omaha, NE both seem to be pushing a lot of similar xg500's on Cycle Trader, but no prices are given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Strike the above crack about the bikes having been dropped. Since this dealership never had the Rider Academy classes after ordering the bikes they were never used in a class. The one on the showroom floor is pretty much pristine. It had 72 miles of test rides on it.

These are selling as new, not used, bikes. The various fees are about $1,900, so figure an out the door price of around $5,400.

They do plan to strip off all the guards before selling the bikes. If the final price weren't outside of my budget for a second bike I would try to negotiate keeping as many of the guards as possible. Even the engine guards seem to be usable on the road. Unlike the one I normally see on RA bikes that attaches at the lower radiator guard bolts, these use the engine mount bolts for the lower attachment point.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Already have the one I love...Just wanted to say hi from Omaha! I got my 2015 from Dillion Bros. I ride mine in Omaha everyday....Still lover her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barends.jpg (371.5 KB, 8 views)

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I got mine from Loess Hills, across the border from Bellevue, Nebraska. That was in early 2017. I thought I was doing good with $6,300 pricing on the floor and really didn't pay that much attention to the other charges. To buy another bike I would definitely ask, as I've been paying on it for 18 months and still owe most of the $6,300. Zylstra's $1900 seems a bit much to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page