HD Street 750 is 58% of Harley sales in India - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HD Street 750 is 58% of Harley sales in India

If releasing the Harley Davidson Street in India was a risk, it seems that it is a risk that has paid off. The first Harley to be manufactured outside of America sold 126 units in March and 210 units in April so far this year. When you consider that last year Harley-Davidson sold about 2,000 motorcycles in 2013, those numbers are a big deal.

I imagine that once the HD 500 comes out sales will only continue to rise.

Street 750 accounts for 58% Harley Davidson India sales | RushLane Indian Cars Bikes News Reviews & Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
No, not the first Harley manufactured outside of the US. Harley has had a Brazilian assembly plant since the 1990s, established to get around Brazils ridiculous import tariffs on vehicles. Before that there was a whole series of Italian manufactured Harleys from Aermacchi, including a couple of dedicated motocrossers. Harley has a number of 250 cc and 350 cc GP championships earned on those Italian manufactured machines. Before Aermacchi, Harley owned the old DKW plant in Germany (taken as reparations for WWII) and sold some bikes made there as Harley Davidsons.

Livin On and Sherri like this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 PM

More Italian Harleys:

Sherri likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Sherri likes this.

post #5 of 16 Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Didn't know about those bikes. Pretty sure I've read that the Street is the first manufactured outside of America. It must be some type of other type of first then, or there are some motorcycle publications that are publishing falsehoods (gasp).

I like this Scrambler.

Sherri likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Most of the idiots who write for the motorcycle mags weren't even born when Harley was making motorcycles in Italy. Their whole world revolves around Japanese sport bikes, motocrossers and Ducatis. They are mostly ignorant of bikes that don't slavishly follow Japanese conventions, meaning Harley and BMW. If someone wrote that the Street is the first Harley manufactured outside the US then that writer is an idiot who needs to find a new line of work.
Sherri likes this.

post #7 of 16 Old 05-15-2014, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
[email protected]

what other models do they sell in india?
post #8 of 16 Old 05-15-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
[email protected]

what other models do they sell in india?
Look at the Harley Davidson website for India. I know Harley assembles V-Rods, some Sportster and Superglide models in India from kits supplied from the US. This is the only way Harley can get around the over 100% tariffs India imposes on imported cars and motorcycles. Harley does the same in Brazil for the same reason. That plant dates to the 1990s.

post #9 of 16 Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
WANT

WANT

WANT

It is interesting though how Harley is one of the only manufacturers who is nailed to the cross for their factory locations. The Japanese make bikes in all kinds of far flung places and never a peep, well minor, but nothing compared to the hubub harley gets. Fuq Suzuki is even selling the made in China GW to the world.

A note on ahm 'journalism' the moto/auto industry has become a circle jerking negative feedback loop of self reference, aggrandizement and rote indoctrination of their readership (if you qualify it as reading nowdays) The latest presser is out, quick charlie reach for the Thesaurus we gots an article to write...
Sherri likes this.

Last edited by Livin On; 05-15-2014 at 11:29 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I think there are certain attributes associated to every brand. Just like Swiss Watches, French Wines, Scotch are associated to particular countries so is Harley Davidson associated with USA and any deviation from same is taken as an aberration.

As far as I can see from pictures above these are no True-Blue Harley Davidson! These are co-branded Armecchi thus being very clear about their roots.

On other hand Street 750/500 are labelled as 'True-Blue' Harley Davidson Cruiser Bikes. And Harley is still assembling these in USA with parts sourced from India thus projecting them as USA made Harleys to people who are finicky about country of manufacture.

Even I consider them to be 'Banglored Harley Davidson' lacking any Blue Blood.
Livin On, HarleyVest and Sherri like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page