44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 09-28-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Street 750 Ownership

I received my Street 750 4 weeks back and has been 1200 kms of pure fun till now.

Prologue
I bought Royal Enfield Thunderbird in 2009. It has served me well for many road trips but with the road conditions improving all around Bangalore, urge for something powerful started growing.
I never had any inclination towards sportsbike. So Harley seemed to be the logical upgrade. Checked superlow, finance options seemed good.
But then heard the news of Triumph launch. This is when I started spending lot of time reading motorcycle on internet and the more I read, more I was moving towards Triumph(Bonneville vs Superlow war started). But Triumph kept on delaying plans and I was even skeptical about launch. And I had more time to read. Finally on one fateful day, Triumph finally launched.
But now there was one more twist. Photos of an unidentified cruiser being tested in India surfaced. This had some of Harley traits and wait further continued.
Then Harley launched Street 750, a made in India, made for Indian streets that too a new liquid cooled , 6 speed derived from V-Rod (you get rear seat, foot peg and lockable gas cap for free ). Pricing was the icing on cake. Finally decided that this is the time to buy without any more wait. There were 3 contenders

1. Triumph bonneville
2. Street 750
3. Kawasaki Ninja 650

First took test ride of Bonneville. Loved the bike. Seating position was exactly same as my Royal enfield, felt very comfortable and at home . Power was good, nothing scary. Suspension was ok, nothing great. Brakes were excellent. Overall a very good package

Next was Street 750 test ride. First thing you notice is bike looks short and your knees go over tank but there is ample ground clearance. Bike felt powerful, even more than Bonneville. Bike felt very smooth, no vibrations at all very much unHarleyish. I was at triple digits and realized only on looking at odometer. Suspensions are very good and does its job efficiently, soaks all the undulations on road. Only negative feeling after test ride was about the brakes, very spongy and lacks bite.

And finally ninja 650, proven engine and a good tourer. I was worried about ninja blowing me away from the other nakeds but somehow, I didn't like the ride on Ninja. Power was there but I felt uncomfortable sitting on it, feet position seemed weird and back slightly bent and suspension also stiff. I realized this is not meant for me.

Between Street and Bonneville, it was Street. Only advantage of Bonneville over Street was the brakes, tyres and finishing but Street was more comfortable. also Street is 2 lakhs cheaper.

Delivery and initial experience

After a painful wait of 4 months received my Denim street on 1st of September. Bike is a bliss to ride in open roads. It has lot of power but currently speeds are restricted due to run in. Windblast is more compared to the other bikes I have ridden (enfield, duke, dyna). Maybe because bike is shorter and larger part of your upper torso is exposed. A good windshield might do the trick.Handling is spot on, lean angle is good. Suspension is set at softest setting by factory. I have changed it to mid settings, now I can go over all the great Bangalore speed breakers without worry (even with pillion).

Positives
-Awesome engine, nice power
-Very good suspension
-Handles very well, leans nicely and is very stable around corners

Negatives
-Brakes should have been better. Both front and rear brakes are very spongy and lack necessary stopping power.
-Foot pegs could have been of better quality and more rigid. My trousers get caught up when riding during slow moving traffic.
-Mud guards should have been longer. Radiator is exposed to all the dirt and water on road

Accessories
-Only accessory installed is back rest and luggage rack. I am still waiting for crash guard but it might take another month or so.
-Other accessory that I will go for is tail bag and windshield (National Cycle has a nice one).
-Not interested in exhaust. From past experience, noisy exhaust becomes irritating on long rides and adds to fatigue. I like the current stealth mode.
-Braided lines and brake pad (SBS)
-Security system

Issues observed
-Found the rear brakes leaking from bleed valve. It was not tightened properly.
-Front brake cable shakes slightly every time I apply brakes. Maybe it should be bled. Will try to resolve during first service.
-Denim requires lot of care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC5278_1.jpg (180.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5292_1.jpg (342.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4544_1.jpg (187.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4555_1.jpg (316.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4597_1.jpg (228.0 KB, 138 views)
Botty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Nice pics man. For me black denim is the only choice.
post #3 of 49 Old 09-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Really looks great!

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

post #4 of 49 Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I really enjoyed reading your summary of your decision to purchase the Street as well as your personal review of the postives and negatives you've found with it. Thanks for the pics as well.

Rock270 likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #5 of 49 Old 10-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Great write-up for anyone who is still considering whether or not to buy the Street. I think that you lay it out here really well. Thanks for this. And the pictures are great too!
post #6 of 49 Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Nice pics man. For me black denim is the only choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
Really looks great!
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
I really enjoyed reading your summary of your decision to purchase the Street as well as your personal review of the postives and negatives you've found with it. Thanks for the pics as well.
Street is a lovely machine ain't it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef View Post
Great write-up for anyone who is still considering whether or not to buy the Street. I think that you lay it out here really well. Thanks for this. And the pictures are great too!
Thanks, hope it helps someone who is still deciding
Rock270 likes this.
post #7 of 49 Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meph1st0 View Post
Street is a lovely machine ain't it

If it's so "lovely" can you explain my compulsion to destroy it and turn it into choppers and bobbers? LOL

post #8 of 49 Old 10-06-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
If it's so "lovely" can you explain my compulsion to destroy it and turn it into choppers and bobbers? LOL
some people derive secret pleasure in destroying beautiful things
But on a serious note how is your project going?
StoneFree likes this.
post #9 of 49 Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I had been on 800km round trip to Ooty, a hill station in South India. Route has 36 hair pins which is a delight for riding/driving enthusiast. Street has a very linear torque curve and it shows,even with two people and luggage it pulls quite effortlessly uphill. Only downer are the brakes. Climbing downhill needs some careful planning. Some ride pics below

All saddled up and ready

ooty has lot of birds, nice place for 'bird watchers'

On the way to Dolphins nose viewpoint

ride through beautiful tea estates

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC5415_1.jpg (420.0 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5497_1.jpg (221.2 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5769_1.jpg (424.9 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5805_1.jpg (461.3 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5876_1.jpg (243.4 KB, 372 views)
StoneFree, AYEDEE and Rock270 like this.

Last edited by meph1st0; 10-07-2014 at 10:01 AM.
post #10 of 49 Old 10-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meph1st0 View Post
some people derive secret pleasure in destroying beautiful things
But on a serious note how is your project going?

Ahhhh but it will be the Phoenix rising from it's own ashes. LOL

I post about the progress on the Street 500/750 Bobbers and Choppers thread and things are going well albeit slowly. Of course my original idea of creating a single rigid chopper has now expanded into building five different bobbers and choppers using the Harley Street. After that I want to tackle the 2015 Indian Scout and wreck it too before resurrecting it as a new "old school" bobber and chopper.

I have this strange "sickness" I just can't seem to contain. LOL

Solo750owner likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page