Thinking of Buying. Need help! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock270

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile Thinking of Buying. Need help!

Hello.
5"7', 25 year old male living with gf in Bangalore India. I am a newbie to biking and I'm thinking of buying this bike. Is it advisable to start with a 750? I have been riding a 125cc for years now but I want a biggish bike of my own.
Also I wanted to know about the expenses as well. I make around Rs 60,000 per month and I am hoping to buy it on installment. What are tthe maintenance costs and fuel costs like? I will be riding in the city and outside, maybe up to 100 kms a day, twice a week. Please advise if this bike would be appropriate. Should I go for a baby ninja instead?
Appreciate your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Either the 500 or 750 will work just fine for your purposes. The 750 gets about 55mpg/88kpg fuel mileage and the 500 probably does a little better. Routine up keep is relatively inexpensive but "relative" is a relative word. LOL Basically it's change the oil/filter, check the belt tension, check tire pressures, and check the bolts to make sure they don't come loose. You can do it or have Harley do it. Always keep the motorcycle on a battery tender when not being used to keep the battery in good condition. Basically anything else is covered by warranty.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-17-2015, 09:53 AM
MGG

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hi;

I am 60 years old, 5 ft 8 inches and have been riding scooters for 18 years. Did own a 300 cc Honda motorcycle about 30 years ago. I live in the US. I went to the dealer looking at V Rod's but they just felt way to big to me. Saw the 500 and 750 and fell in love. I was going to buy the 500 but the dealer steered me toward the 750. After looking at the price difference it just made sense to me. I think the appearance is upgraded slightly by the machining on the pistons and wheels and you get 33% greater piston displacement for not really that much more money. The dealer said once you get use to riding, you will be glad you have the extra power. I'm am sure the dealer was right at least for me. I am very happy with my purchase and this seams like a good bike for me. (I have never ridden the 500 so I do not know what the acceleration or high speed performance is on it.) The 750 has more than I need but that is what I want. It has wonderful acceleration if you need it, and just cruses at 65 mph with plenty of power left over. I am averaging 47 mpg with my best tank being 49.7 mpg.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know how the different manufacturer's engines compare power wise but I owned a Honda 500cc before I got my Street 750 and the power difference was VERY noticeable. I rode the Honda for a couple years and when I test drove the Street I felt like I was going to slide off the seat the first couple times I accelerated! I've since gotten used to the power and throttle control and it's no longer an issue but I needed MUCH more throttle on the Honda 500 to get up to speed than I do on my 750.

I've also had the Street up to 80mph on the freeway and there's still power left. My Honda felt like it was straining a bit at those speeds.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-18-2015, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
in my opinion, the street 750 is the way to go.

it has plenty of low end torque to easily launch you through city traffic without any strain at all. other manufacturers bikes such as the one you mentioned has their pulling power nearer the top end of the rpm's. pretty unuseable in tight city traffic.

the street 750 has the power and torque right where it's needed, and there is plenty of it.
fuel mileage is quite good, i'm getting around 45 mpg and I drive kinda hard.

it handles so easy and can turn around easily in tight spots when needed.
I would also advise to take a riders training course if you are new to riding, especially when driving in congested city traffic....

whatever you drive, enjoy, but be safe and alert.
Static07 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page