• 1 Post By New2Harley

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I would like to share this

I got a recall in the mail for my 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse. Yes a import. The recall was for passenger side sunvisor, if visor is down and airbag goes off it can cause serious injuries.

I thought to myself, interesting old car paid for import. New bike still making payments and yet no recall on woodruff key, lag and leap, or first to second gear. ALL are which life threatening since it is a motorcycle with no airbag or metal around us. And we are suppose to be proud we ride a Harley yet our issues on a new model goes ignored.

What has anyone done? I mean I've read a fired up member get worked up over a cheap tach that was defective but I haven't read what we should be doing about these real issues on HD Street most of us are paying for.
Besides dealing with it, like lag and leap keep tank full. First to second seems to be acceptable? I don't get it, am I the only one ticed at this poor quality and not being heard? My first to second, I just start out in second I'm tired of people riding up my backside. Just irritating I pay for junk, but a old car, the manufacturer is worried about a sunvisor.

Myself, I wrote HD no word, surprise. The dealer thinks I'm nuts about the gears and don't know how to ride. I'm new to harley but not street bikes. Never ever came across gear shifting issues unless it was a old piece of junk and even then it was a cable or linkage.
I've also filed a formal complaint with NHTSA (highway safety).

I guess I'm wondering what if anything has anyone else done to get these looked at.
Rock270 likes this.

Don
750, GI, Bassani muffler, Saddlebags, Radio, windshield, tach, and a working GI PRO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
@New 2 Harley,

I don't think that you were around but a while back Harley sent me a sort of recall concerning some useless
$2.00 reflector that [may] have been omitted on a production run which included my 750. It turned out that mine hadn't been omitted. WOW, these people sure have a keen sense of priority, don't they!
Rock270 and New2Harley like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Harley View Post
I got a recall in the mail for my 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse. Yes a import. The recall was for passenger side sunvisor, if visor is down and airbag goes off it can cause serious injuries.

I thought to myself, interesting old car paid for import. New bike still making payments and yet no recall on woodruff key, lag and leap, or first to second gear. ALL are which life threatening since it is a motorcycle with no airbag or metal around us. And we are suppose to be proud we ride a Harley yet our issues on a new model goes ignored.

What has anyone done? I mean I've read a fired up member get worked up over a cheap tach that was defective but I haven't read what we should be doing about these real issues on HD Street most of us are paying for.
Besides dealing with it, like lag and leap keep tank full. First to second seems to be acceptable? I don't get it, am I the only one ticed at this poor quality and not being heard? My first to second, I just start out in second I'm tired of people riding up my backside. Just irritating I pay for junk, but a old car, the manufacturer is worried about a sunvisor.

Myself, I wrote HD no word, surprise. The dealer thinks I'm nuts about the gears and don't know how to ride. I'm new to harley but not street bikes. Never ever came across gear shifting issues unless it was a old piece of junk and even then it was a cable or linkage.
I've also filed a formal complaint with NHTSA (highway safety).

I guess I'm wondering what if anything has anyone else done to get these looked at.
Go to the NHTSA site here and report your issue. (You'll need to click on the "Investigations" tab) Every owner should be doing this to build mass and force a fix.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Nothing will happen on this until some poor ******* it taking a left hand turn through an intersection, the bikes stalls and leaps, dumps the rider and he gets run over and probably killed. It's a three gallon tank with 2.6 gallons of usable fuel. HD, if I wanted a silly bar hopper, I'd buy a sportster hardtail. I may get one of those because they're bitchin', but not as a primary bike.

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
@HowOnWheels,

It seems that H-D down-plays this issue at their own peril. If they have a Risk Manager aboard he/she would be well advised to take heed!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2015, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static07 View Post
Go to the NHTSA site here and report your issue. (You'll need to click on the "Investigations" tab) Every owner should be doing this to build mass and force a fix.
got my complaint submitted and got my confirmation number!
thanks for the link...!

I dread the day when we hear of that unfortunate person that has gotten hurt or worse because of these serious issues we have with our bikes.

whether it is because of the dangerous short stem mirrors, the lag and leap issue, the wood ruff key breaking, or the gears get hung up.....all of these problems are indeed serious and Harley and their designers of these bikes should be held responsible not only in civil court, but criminal court as well!

in an indirect way it will be a form of vehicular homicide or negligence to say the least!

I've only experienced the lag and leap once when they delivered my bike with only 1/2 gallon of gas in it and I took it one mile to the gas station, it happened taking off from a red light and it really freaked me out. I could have gotten run over by the many large pickups driven around here by very aggressive drivers....many drunk while driving.
Static07 and New2Harley like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, it's an older car, so think about how many people were injured before they said "hey we need to perform a recall." I'm betting quite a few. No major company is going to just throw out a recall and take the financial hit they cause without having a definite reason as well as a solution to the problem. Harley won't recall all these bikes just to have them sit in their dealers and have to return everyone's money. We all want a fix but you have to be realistic about it. The pump is a part of the problem, the way the tank is set up is another. They have to find the middle ground that will fix it and minimize their loss.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
Yes, it's an older car, so think about how many people were injured before they said "hey we need to perform a recall." I'm betting quite a few. No major company is going to just throw out a recall and take the financial hit they cause without having a definite reason as well as a solution to the problem. Harley won't recall all these bikes just to have them sit in their dealers and have to return everyone's money. We all want a fix but you have to be realistic about it. The pump is a part of the problem, the way the tank is set up is another. They have to find the middle ground that will fix it and minimize their loss.
Yep, 5 injuries from a sunvisor FIVE. Out of thousands. I disagree, some may think companies have the same integrity of doing business as HD, simply not true. Not every company waits for a death to do a recall. Noone is asking for a refund, but to fix the known issues that we the test rats have found. HD didn't run hundreds of 500-750s for years to actually work out the bugs. Their arrogance to rush something out to replace the Buell for hipsters so they don't miss the cash cow is their problem. After all their HD since 1903 their a American bike and know what their doing?
I believe Mitsubishi has more sense than HD, they aren't going to wait for ignition or airbag deaths. Either Mitsubishi isn't a major company they actually have people in charge paying attention and avoiding bigger injury numbers.

One last thing. Auto accidents usually get reported and involve police. Motorcycle accidents don't always, unless it involves a injury requiring a ambulance ride, or other drivers. There's plenty of riders who have laid their bike down (im one, from one of these known issues) picked the bike up and went home to clean their wounds without a official report. Next time I'll try to kill myself so there can be a official report. Sadly noone will know why, so they'll blame the rider.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but not every major company is the same. My last bike was a Hyosung they have OUTSTANDING service. I'm just to old and realistic to be on a crotch rocket. Anyone deal with ebay and amazon customer service? Night and day difference.
JONBERG likes this.

Don
750, GI, Bassani muffler, Saddlebags, Radio, windshield, tach, and a working GI PRO

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page