Official Australian Recall over Lag and Leap problem - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Zowie Mcgrath
  • 1 Post By Subike
  • 1 Post By Rock270

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Official Australian Recall over Lag and Leap problem

Harley-Davidson Street 500 recalled - Motorbike Writer

"Harley-Davidson Australia has voluntarily recalled the Street 500 over a fuel issue as the popular learner-approved motorbike soars towards the top of the sales charts.

It is part of a global recall notice and is yet another example of the local distributor getting in first to be on the front foot over recall issues, unlike some other manufacturers that “hide” their recalls in routine service inspections. International recalls are expected to follow in coming days.

Spokesman Adam Wright says they want to reassure their customers.

“It’s important to be transparent,” he says. “All manufacturers have recalls and we apologise for the issue which is an inconvenience. We’re riders too and we share in your frustration.

“But, at the end of the day, it’s about ensuring our product is number one in quality and customer safety.”

The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission recall notice refers to the XG500 and XG750 Street models, although we only get the XG500 in Australia.

The notice says: “These motorcycles may have poor a poor seal at the fuel pump inlet. This could allow an interruption to the fuel supply under acceleration at low fuel levels, possibly before the low fuel light indicator has illuminated.

“If this condition remains undetected, under acceleration with the fuel level below 3.2 litres, the motorcycle may briefly hesitate and then restore power abruptly, possibly leading to a loss of control.”

There have been no reported incidents in Australia. Harley recommends riding no further than 160km on a full the tank. The repair kits start arriving on September 14.

Harley will contact owners by letter and advise them to head to their nearest authorised dealer for an inspection to confirm whether their motorcycle is affected. Bikes needing the new kit will be repaired for free."

It's official here, guys.

As a side note, mine has run fine. no problems even doing 290kms on a tank prior to refuelling
Rock270 and alext like this.

I'D rather live just 1 day as a Tiger,
Than a thousand as a sheep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I would think that this will also apply to units sold in NewZealand as well, as we are supplied by the Australian distributor .
I also have had no issue with the fuel supply, and neither have two other owners I am friends with.
Rock270 likes this.

Shafty Old Bugga
post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
wow, that is awesome, very proud of not only your country's consumer commission, but your dealer!
that's what gives me hope that other dealers will follow the same path, my dealer I'm not so sure about, especially with my past experiences!

thanks for the info!
Zowie Mcgrath likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page