20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Touring Tips?

I'm planning a 3 day, 2 night trip with a buddy which will be my first touring ride (his too). I'm trying to ensure I have everything I need and hoping for some tips/suggestions.

1. How much luggage do I really need?
As you can see in the attached, I'm trying to ensure I have plenty of room for needed items and also have a tool pouch and tank bag as well.

2. What are the essential tools to take?
I'm assuming I should take the necessary tools for minor repair if needed but no matter what I choose, if I need to do a repair, I'll probably have every tool except for the one I actually need.

3. Rain tips?
I have a rain suit but takes up a lot of room. I'm wondering if I need a simple rain jacket or something instead. Or do riders usually try to avoid rain by pulling over somewhere for a bit to wait it out.

4. Roadside assistance?
If stranded on the side of the road, is some sort of roadside assistance recommended.

For those with touring experience, I appreciate any tips you can provide, even if unrelated to the 4 questions above. Maybe I'm missing other things to consider. ...or maybe I'm just thinking too much into it and should just get on the bike and ride... I'm a planner though and can't help it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (579.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpeg image2 (1).jpeg (657.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (261.3 KB, 58 views)
DaddyDevilKing and Rock270 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
well, it depends on several things per my experience.

you'll only need 2 changes of clothes for 3 days.

what you'll be wearing when you leave out will take care of the first day.

if you bought a new Harley, then you are automatically enrolled in the HOG group, so you'll have $100 for road side assistance....(I know )

how far will you be during your trip from any civilization?

will your cell phone work all along the trip?
are yall sleeping in tents or at a hotel or the like?

anytime, especially this time of year in the heat, always take a few bottles of water at least, even warm water is better than no water.

if you are subject to cramps in the heat, then take what are called pickle pops, they don't have to be frozen, (walmart or most sporting goods), or straight dill pickle juice, will get rid of cramps with in a couple of minutes, trust me, I know!

how many miles between fuel stops?...some of these bikes get freaky after 90-100 miles on a tank of fuel and will not go much farther.

rain?....I'd at least take a rain jacket. ...if it gets raining too hard, then stop where you "safely" can and wait it out, normally the heavy stuff will pass shortly. ...and not under an underpass or on the shoulder of the road, other drives may not see you and things could get real bad real fast.

take all the meds you'll need, if you need to.
even a small amount of tools can get a out of a jam, I try to take multi-use tools where I can.

tank bags are great and allow you to get everything out of all your pockets, ...i...e..keys, wallet, glasses, phones...etc..

don't wear real loose clothing, a flapping collar gets irritating quick.

never assume everyone will give ya the right of way, watch intersection closely! always pay attention to whats behind you. especially if you are not in a familiar area.

never drink alcohol any where near driving a bike.

watch the speed limits, especially small towns, they make their paychecks off of the unsuspecting or inattentive travelers.

if you got anything strapped on your bikes, then be sure it is all secure!

always let some one know, when you are leaving, when you expect to get where you are going, the path traveled if possible, when you've arrived and all this on your way back, it's just the responsible thing to do now days, and it can save a lot of anguish for you and others!

I'm sure there is more others can come up with, but this is my 2 cents.

most of all, be safe, don't rush, pay attention and enjoy the trip.
harleywv and DaddyDevilKing like this.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 04:05 PM

you got a good looking rig there...looks ready to take a trip!

post #4 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rock, great tips! I didn't think about heat cramps which I do get from time to time. Interesting though, never heard of that solution for cramps.

We'll be covering about 1,500 - 2,000 miles but still finalizing some plans. It will probably be Fall time so the morning and evenings may be a bit cold. Pigeon Forge, TN is one of the main destinations we're planning. We'll be on the interstate for only a small fraction of the trip so there will be a great deal of country roads, great scenery, and yeah, probably no cell phone service from time to time. I have a Delorme inReach 2-Way Satellite Communicator that I take dirt bike riding in case of emergency and will definitely take it with me for this trip. Thanks for the reminder about cell service!

You're right about small towns! I've had my share of speeding tickets in these areas. They setup speed traps right where the speed limit changes.
Rock270 likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 04:46 PM

not sure about that area in that time of the year, but when riding the back roads, be aware of frost on the roads especially in the mornings and especially when driving in shaded areas, I nearly got in trouble up in the Ozarks with that. bright and sunny, after a morning frost, then I came into one of several shaded areas and oooo shoot, luckily I was able to slow way down by the time I seen it, on some other curves I wouldn't have.

oh by the way, there are pro athletes becoming aware of the dill pickle juice getting rid of cramps too.

I learned about it from a local friend that said many of the kids at little league games around here go around eating big dill pickles and that's why!....I didn't know either until then.

down here in south louisiana, the humidity is terrible most all the time, and the heat with that can be unbearable! I keep a large jar of kosher dill spears in the fridge with out fail! And I eat them nearly daily especially in the hot months!...(yeah, 10 months out of the year here!)...I either eat dill pickles or pour the juice in a jar and drink that, it's works even faster that way!

for years I took calcet tablets for night time leg cramps, well I had to take so many, then they got to where they wouldn't even work, maybe due to some of my medication I have to take these days, I dunno....but even at that they took a long time to work, now drinking the juice, it works quick! I've even had to stop at a quick mart to buy a small jar of dill pickles during rides in the past.

also riding in warm weather, you'll dehydrate with out even sweating or even knowing that you are.
always drink plenty of water and try to stay away from all carbonated or caffine drinks, they will also dehydrate you!
harleywv likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
@harleywv,

Hey, Rock covered everything very well. I wasn't going to get 'bags' for this one but I like yours. What kind is it and did you have to install guards?

Thanks,

JMB

2harleywv
Rock270 likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=Rock270;130121]not sure about that area in that time of the year, but when riding the back roads, be aware of frost on the roads especially in the mornings and especially when driving in shaded areas, I nearly got in trouble up in the Ozarks with that. bright and sunny, after a morning frost, then I came into one of several shaded areas and oooo shoot, luckily I was able to slow way down by the time I seen it, on some other curves I wouldn't have.

QUOTE]

I definitely need to remind my buddy of this as well. Definitely something to keep in mind and will probably be an issue for us.

I have a sudden urge to go to the store and buy some pickles...
Rock270 likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBERG View Post
@harleywv,

Hey, Rock covered everything very well. I wasn't going to get 'bags' for this one but I like yours. What kind is it and did you have to install guards?

I highly recommend these saddlebags! I don't have any brackets and so glad I didn't buy any. I almost did but decided to get the saddlebags first and then evaluate what I need. Turns out that having the luggage rack provides extra support so all you have to do is throw them over which is secured under the passenger seat. The luggage rack and side mounts keep the bags safely away from the bike. I didn't use the ties that come with the bags to tie them down. All I did was use 1 cable tie on each side to tie it the luggage rack for added support. There are other ways especially if you want to take these bags on and off with the wing nuts inside each bag but I plan on leaving mine on and really like the looks of them.
Here's a link to them on Amazon but I purchased directly from Motorcycle House so I could order additional items to get free shipping. In any event, you can't beat saddlebags for about $70 without any other hardware needed. I've been out riding as well as on the intersate and no trouble at all.

Rock270 likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
@harleywv,

Thanks buddy! Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Make sure to take pics and video (if you have a gopro) and let us know how your adventure goes! If you wanted to you could even update us DURING the trip in a new thread so we could follow and communicate with you. That'd be pretty cool! Maybe you will even pass through a town with a hdstreetforum member that could throw you two a few sandwiches and some water or something along the way. This sounds fun I need to try it sometime.
harleywv and Rock270 like this.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page