21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A Harley Return Customer?

We were discussing this in another post but I wanted to get more opinions on this topic. The Street was meant to gear some of the new motorcycle riders towards picking up the Harley enthusiasm that has made the brand so successful. Would you purchase another Harley down the road? Have you owned a Harley in the past?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 AM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I have not owned a Harley in the past, I bought this one specifically because after all of my research it seemed to have the best handling, best engine, and good low center of gravity compared to others in the same class. Almost like a cruiser/cafe racer/sport bike all in one without the ugly Power Rangers plastic look of a sport bike. Good ground clearance, good suspension, you can really get on it in corners. It was between HD Street 750, Honda Shadow Phantom, Triumph America or Triumph Bonneville.

With that said...if I wanted a "Harley" I would have bought a Fat Boy. This just happened to be made by Harley. I bought it due to the performance reviews.

My next bike will probably be the INDIAN SCOUT or something from Triumph.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
post #3 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
No. I wouldn't even consider another HD. Primarily because of the way they handled the fuel pump issue - and their maintenance of plausible deniability for the last year.

I'd look at a triumph or suzuki.

post #4 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I have never owned a Harley before, so the Street 750 is my first. It may be my first Harley, but it is number 11 in a line of bikes I have owned. Previous bikes I have had range from super quick two-stroke twins, lazy cruisers, adventure on/off road bikes and a sports bikes some chain driven, some shaft driven. Makes ranged from BMW, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki.

My bucket list still had an unchecked box. Own a Harley.

The launch of the Street caught my attention. Here was a Harley, but Harley by badge only. It was so different from the other bikes in the Harley range (discounting the V-Rod as it was physically too big for me) that I took it on a test ride. I was sold after the first mile. Here I will agree with DDK "seemed to have the best handling, best engine, and good low center of gravity compared to others in the same class".

Would I buy another Harley? Definitely not an old fashioned one, but I may consider a successor to the Street in a few years time. For now I will enjoy my Street, as it suits my riding style and will do so for a few more years. I have not had the first service yet, so I may change my mind when I get the bill!!
JONBERG and Rock270 like this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #5 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I will buy another. It is a first generation bike that we got so problems are expected. If the fuel pump was such an easy fix I believe they would have done it. I will admit there are dealers out there that don't care about customers but that is life we meet dickheads everywhere. I owned a 1988 883 sportster before this bike so I have had a pre fuel injection harley and now a liquid cooled - fuel injected harley. I wouldn't mind in a few years renting a vrod for a long weekend or if they have a newer model out then and possibly upgrading for longer rides but keeping the street for local trips as it is a great bike that I really enjoy.
Zowie Mcgrath likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
My latest previous bike was an 02 SOFTAIL with EFI. It was great but problems with my lower back and extremities caused me to sell it. I thought that I was done riding then I discovered the 750 STREET. It's perfect for me: light, nimble and plenty of power. In spite of the legendary bad attitude of the HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY*, like Propnut I would consider a successor to the 2015 Street, which I enjoy very much. I would NOT consider an "old fashioned one", as well.

*The fuel pump fiasco is but one example of how they place themselves above the normal market. I've seen several examples of this over the years.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
This is my third bike, but first Harley. I'm not positive at this point to say I will never buy a Harley again because that's a strong word. I will say that my next bike will not be a Harley, I don't want a big cruiser and I'd wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out on these Streets before getting another.

But I will say I will never buy anything from my specific dealer again. Good thing is, there are several dealers in my area.
Rock270 likes this.
post #8 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I would buy a used Harley in the future. I would not buy another fuel injected one. I will upgrade the motor from the 500 to the 750 whenever this one fails and the warranty is gone. But right now I have a Ninja I'm building and after that I'm going back to my 70's Hondas. I won't sell the Street or trade it, even though the thought crossed my mind after having to replace the fuel pump a second and third time. So somewhere down there or if the right deal comes along, I'll be on a larger Harley, but it won't be much factory left when I get done with it.
Rock270 likes this.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #9 of 36 Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
ummm..maybe, maybe not!....leaning hard to the "not" currently.
...and no, this is the first one for me..
post #10 of 36 Old 08-28-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I may buy another harley but not from the dealer I work at again, as for people grumbling about the way the pump problem was handled I think they did their best on a bike that did not sell in large numbers, we recieved 10 to sell when they came out we got 2 more in red , we still have 5 of the first shipment, if these were baggers they would have caught on quicker due to the large numbers of baggers they sell.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page