• 2 Post By JONBERG

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-2015, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A Lurker Is Finally Buying

If all goes to plan, tomorrow I take possession of my XG500. It's used with 8 miles. The guy won it from a local dealer and doesn't ride.

I had hoped for a 750 but this is pbly better for me. I'm a fairly new rider. I've put about 500 miles on a 69 Yamaha AT1 which is a 125 enduro. May 2014 I scored an 02 rebel from a local Harley dealer. After 11,000 miles it was stolen and replaced about 60 days ago with an 09 Rebel. I've done about 2,000 miles on it.

I've had a minor stroke some years back and upgraded when I felt comfortable.... The Lag and Leap problem scares the $hit out of me. If that happens, I will definately go down. Hence the comfort w the 500 vs 750. I need to bounce the VIN against the recall list.

It is an amazing deal and I'm seriously excited and just to excited to sleep.... It's a great accessory to go with my Bell Vortex Flying Tuger helmet....

I'm on the hunt for a sissy bar luggage rack and a windshield...

Thanks for listening....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey there Woodtoolgy,

Welcome to the forums. I was in the same boat as you 2 weeks ago. I got My street 500 last Friday and love it. I couldn't sleep Friday night in anticipation for my first ride on Saturday morning, so I feel your excitement!
The street 500 is a great bike and very easy to ride... I couldn't be happier.

I haven't had an issue with the lag and leap problem however the dealer put in a new fuel pump before it got delivered to me. But yeah be sure to check the VIN against the recall list or even take it in for an upgraded fuel pump regardless for peace of mind.

Welcome to the forums and ride safe bro.

Cheers,
Phil
post #3 of 9 Old 10-01-2015, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
welcome!

these street models are easy to ride.
the recall is for all street models, I'd call a local dealer with the vin number and ask them to be sure the recall has been or gets done.

I'd also consider getting the HD mirror extenders put on it, because the stock mirrors dont allow most riders to see behind them.
ask them to put them on as part of the deal, to many of us it's a safety issue.

I haven't ridden the 500, but the 750 is a blast to ride.
I would guess it will be nearly as easy to ride as the rebel, but with noticeably more power.

if you can, post a picture please when you get it and show us your new bike, we are excited for you too

post #4 of 9 Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
i didn't mean to imply I was new here... That's not quite the case.im simply finally buying,... Which happened today. It's a used 2015 with 8 miles. The previous owner won it in a drawing and doesn't ride. I was the first rider. :0)

Tomorrow we are off to the dealer for the vin check on Lag n Leap and I can't seem to find neutral.

I'm an old man whose had a mild stroke so I'm gently getting used to her. My first 500 miles will me at night while I adapt to the bike. :0)
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Woodtoolgy. The Street is a great bike for older riders. I was 68 when I took the Riders Edge class on the Street 500. If Harley hadn't started building this bike I probably would never have starting riding. The bike is light so it allows older riders who may not have the physical strength to control a heavier HD to continue riding on two wheels. It handles great. I rode both the 500 and the 750 before deciding on the 750. Either provided more than enough power and acceleration for the low traffic, lower speed areas I typically explore on my Street. I'm certain that you will enjoy your new ride. I know Harley tailored the Street for a different age demographic, but we can't let the kids have all the fun!
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Welcome to the club.....

I GOT THE POWER......
post #7 of 9 Old 10-02-2015, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
When I had to give-up my SOFTAIL, due to lower back issues and @ 72 I thought my riding days were over. Then along came the STREETs and a 2nd chance to ride a much lighter and nimble bike without a significant loss of power. I usually will not buy a vehicle in its first production year but as one who hesitates to buy green bananas , I broke my rule and bought a 750. But for the mirror problem, which was easily resolved and the infamous Lag & Leap issue, which is hopefully resolved, the STREET has met my highest expectations. Yes, the STREETs may be considered a "beginners bike" but they are highly versatile and transcend that singular appellation.

WELCOME ALL, YOUNG AND OLD!
Irie and Rock270 like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
another older retired guy here, that stopped riding my bigger bike too.
like others, I bought this because it is so easy to handle and has plenty of power.

if Harley didn't come out with this model, I'd be another one that wouldn't be riding anymore, much less a Harley owner.

they have a market of us older long time riders that they may not have expected
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2015, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
And yet another older retired guy that had to give up a Suzuki 850G ten years ago after a quad bypass. Now that I am firing on all four pistons again, the Street 750 has re-kindled my miss-spent youth. I am yet to decide if that is a good or bad thing.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page