What cheap garbage bolts these bikes have. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tucsonmax1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
What cheap garbage bolts these bikes have.

Both of the front bolts on the rear fender stripped out. I removed one of the rear to look at the diameter of the bolt itself, hand thread it in, then go to tighten it and it immediate begins to cross thread. What f'n junk. Half the case bolts on my bike look like someone went over them with standard allen keys. I've had and worked on so many classics I can't even count, and I've never owned an easy out or other bolt extraction set or a tap and die set. I buy the only brand new vehicle I've ever owned and now I need both. What a f'n joke. It's no wonder Harley is dying as a brand.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
To be Fair, ALOT of the Metric Bikes are using the Allen head bolts. I remember seeing them when I worked at a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer. Even my Yamaha had some Allen Bolts as well.

The Problem I see with HD is, The factory. Using the Red Loctite on bolts that don't need it. IE: The 4 bolts that have to be removed to install the Luggage Rack. The front 2 had Red. Rear had Blue. The Docking Hardware instructs to use Blue on the replacement bolts.
Solo750owner and 10-64 like this.

2019 Hyundai Kona SE Surf Blue

2018 Custom 1200 Black Tempest
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2015, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I understand....I've either rounded off or broke more than one trying to get a mod done.

seems to me like the screws and bolts are made of softer metal plus all the Loctite they used during assembly makes for frustrating work on these some times, I know.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
It's definitely a soft bolt problem. Metric classics are all allen head bolts. Never had this issue and I've parted a couple bikes out. Now I have to learn how to remove a stripped bolt in a very confined space without tearing anything up.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
It's definitely a soft bolt problem. Metric classics are all allen head bolts. Never had this issue and I've parted a couple bikes out. Now I have to learn how to remove a stripped bolt in a very confined space without tearing anything up.

if I may ask, which bolt is it and where is it located?
would it be possible to dremel the head off, then use a side faced drill to drill it, then be able to use an easy out?

just curious...
post #6 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
If he is referring to the 2 bolts that I had issues with, I know Why. **** Red Loctite. I had to hammer a 1/4" Allen into one of them. Also had to use an impact driver to break it loose.

2019 Hyundai Kona SE Surf Blue

2018 Custom 1200 Black Tempest
post #7 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
It's the bolts on either side directly behind the top of the shock. Destroyed one bit last night. Picked up a different bolt extractor set after work tonight. So hopefully Sunday I'll be able to try again. I've got inventory at work so tomorrow and Saturday are out for getting anything done.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
It's the bolts on either side directly behind the top of the shock. Destroyed one bit last night. Picked up a different bolt extractor set after work tonight. So hopefully Sunday I'll be able to try again. I've got inventory at work so tomorrow and Saturday are out for getting anything done.

I understand what you mean about when you get time...
if you took the shock off would that help any?

when you do have time could you post a picture of the problem you are having, it may help others in the future

I want to remove my shocks and cut 2 coils off of them to lower/eliminate the gap above the rear tire and fender, that I seen another member do to his. I think that looks so much better and a lot cheaper than buying new shocks.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-26-2016, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had the same problem removing these bolts for the rack mounting kit on mine. All were glued in with red loctite, despite the guide saying to use blue. One rounded off. They seem very soft.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page