LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Engine start and stop.

I'm a little curious, after reading all these posts referring to the stop start switch. In days of old I always thought of the start stop rocker switch as an emergency shutoff. The main key switch was used to either turn the bike on and jump on the kick starter, or to crank the engine over for starting. My last bike (Suzuki Burgman) had a key for the ignition, and another button for starting it. I never used the on off switch. Being as the bike had a CVT transmission and no neutral I could not leave the engine running unattended unless it was up on the center stand and the kickstand was retracted. Just to make sure I didn't do the embarrassing faux pas of dropping my bike by forgetting to lower the kickstand I got into the habit of shutting the motor off with the kickstand. Push the kickstand out, motor quits, turn the ignition off. I never use the red shut off rocker switch. Now I see on this forum a lot of people refer to using the engine shutdown switch to turn off the bike. My question is, what is the proper way to start and stop these motorcycles? Can I just turn the key off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-12-2016, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yes turn the key off
either way works fine.....
CorkyF likes this.

It is what it is….
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
In the owners manual it states to turn the engine switch to off position first, then turn the ignition switch off.
My first bike so I was curious on how to do it when I fist got it but I thought it silly after the first couple times so I just turn the ignition off and quickly take the key out don't want to forget leaving that in there. And enjoy the Street she's fun! Ride safe!
CorkyF likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2016, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've always used the key to shut my bikes down. The kill switch on the throttle is for emergency shutoff IMO. That said, I have bumped the switch on my 750 once and not noticed it....kinda embarrassing when you can't figure out why your brand new bike won't start LOL.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2016, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Hey, talk about an "embarrassing faux pas"; I was so used to the turn signals on my SOFTAIL (switches left and right) that on my first ride, when making a right turn I cut off the engine. Thankfully no one saw this and no one was behind me!
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverDXS View Post
I've always used the key to shut my bikes down. The kill switch on the throttle is for emergency shutoff IMO. That said, I have bumped the switch on my 750 once and not noticed it....kinda embarrassing when you can't figure out why your brand new bike won't start LOL.
On my scooter it wouldn't even turn over. For some reason bumping the kill switch would be the cause 99% of the time, but the last thing I would check
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2016, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
In my Motorcycle safety course, they taught us to use the kill switch to turn the motor off. the reasoning behind this is so when an emergency situation happens, you are already use to turning the bike off this way and won't have to think about using the kill switch, you just do it. Like muscle memory, you wont even have to think about it, or let go of the handle bars to stop the motor.

So I, use the kill switch every time I shut the motor off. then turn the ignition off right before dismounting the bike.

But I am a new rider, trying to develop habits based on my training course.

My two cents.
CorkyF likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-14-2016, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Again either way works
If your rider safety course told you to use the kill switch use it
CorkyF likes this.

It is what it is….

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version