5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Is my kickstand defective?

Is my kickstand defective, or is it just really fail-prone? So my first night with the bike, I left it parked in the yard. Woke up to find the bike laying on it's side, snapped off the clutch lever. Here we are just over a week later, and I get off the thing with it parked on pavement, idling. Next thing I know it has fallen over, or at least tried to. It rolled forward, kickstand folded up, and it landed on the dumpster I was parked next to. Scratched my windshield to ****, bent my mirror, left scuff marks everywhere. Now I feel like I'm just doomed to have a crappy looking bike because it's going to constantly fall over. I can accept it falling over in my yard, the ground was soft and there is a slight downhill slope. But today, no, there was no earthly reason for that **** kickstand to fold under like that. I feel like it should lock in place WAY better than this. Am I just using it wrong? Is there a better option I can swap in place, or is this thing flat defective and I need to have the dealer look into it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-17-2016, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Are you parking it on level ground? Turning the handle bar all the way to the left? The bike does have a kickstand that could use a half inch or so knocked off of it……I always tell my wife to make sure it's on level ground…..also….leave it in gear when parking it……that way it cannot roll…...
Propnut and 10-64 like this.

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver
post #3 of 14 Old 05-17-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Seemed level today. The handle bars weren't turned, as I was only off for a moment. And couldn't leave it in gear this time, since it was idling. Not sure I'd want the kickstand shorter, in my case. I want it to have a more positive lock in the extended position. It seems way too eager to retract.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2016, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
i always lock the forks to the left, especially if i leave the bike in neutral. my street 750 feels like it is really easy to undo the kick stand with the forks steered to the right by simply pushing the bike backwards.
Hellbilly likes this.

2008 VRSCDA, locked in storage
2015 XG750 made in India
both Vivid Black
Honda Wave125 daily scooter
post #5 of 14 Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
I NEVER walk away from my bike when it's idling. You're just asking for it to roll away on you. I always park on level ground if I can, and if there's any incline at all I leave it in gear too. I've never had a problem with this bike yet
Hellbilly and skeive like this.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
The kickstand being shorter puts more downward pressure on the kickstand from the weight of the bike....making it more likely to stay.....I'm going to look at it closer tonight if I get a chance....I NEVER leave my bike parked without the handlebars to the left...on any bike....just a rule of thumb and habit.....but I agree...the kickstand is a little too easy to retract.....Harley really should shorten it on future Streets.....

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver
post #7 of 14 Old 05-18-2016, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Had mine fall over once, luckily a buddy was next to it and caught it before it hit the ground.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Can you post some Pics?? Maybe the Stand is bent? Or there is a problem with the Pin that prevents it from moving past a certain position. I have been Fortunate. Never happened to me. Was BOARD one day. Took it off and greased it.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #9 of 14 Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out the hard way that the side stand seems to be a design fault. luckily like the others on here, just a snapped clutch lever and a bit of damage to the grip, but it was parked on a flat drive, no other influence and rolled forward off the stand.
this must be the reason for the extreme shortage of clutch levers in the UK.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The side stand on the 2015 model is definitely a bad design. On the day I brought mine home, I pulled over on the side of the highway to make a phone call and it almost fell over twice. Luckily I was standing there to catch it both times. I think it was the wind from passing trucks that caused it to roll forward. I immediately bought a center stand and it works great. I only use the side stand when my bike is in the garage, on a flat surface, with no wind or anything else influencing it. I only leave my bike idling when I'm opening and closing my driveway gates. On the way out, I pull the bike off of the driveway apron and into the road, and on the way in I pull the bike up onto the apron. This way the front wheel is slightly higher than the back wheel instead of vice versa. You do have to be very careful about where you park on the side stand, especially of you want to leave it idling. It's also a good idea to leave it in gear when parked as that will prevent it from rolling. HTH.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page