• 1 Post By thewhitegorilla

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Maybe a crazy idea

This might be crazy but I'm hopeful that I am on the right track. I am getting ready to transport my bike in the back of a rental box truck about 400 miles and will be riding back to my house. My plan to secure the bike is straps to the walls of the box and 4x4's on either side is the bike with clamps to hold them together so the front wheel on the bike cannot turn. I'll buy the clamps and 4x4s from a box chain and return them to the location local to my drop off point. Will this plan work to keep my bulge upright and safe on the trip? I'd rather not have to transport or mail a chock back to myself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
use heavy tiedowns you can use ones from retails stores but get the heavy ones the elcheapo ones the metal parts bend and your bike will turn over. I have a 5x8 trailer and cinch the bike down compressing the suspension be careful that you don't rub paint. Rubber coated hooks on each side of the bars and sit on the bike rocking a little to compress the suspension. I would recommend having a partner tighten the straps. I do it by myself but have done it many many times over the years. I like to push the front wheel hard into the front of the trailer and then the straps are pulling the front end down, and sucking it hard to the front. then 2 straps on the rear also compressing the shocks a bit. Stop shortly after you take off and look at your rigging and adjust if necessary. I believe most of these trucks have hooks in the floor for just this type purpose. Be careful and DRIVE like A LITTLE OLD LADY and you'll be fine.
thagorilla
UnaClocker likes this.

2019 Heritage Classic
1976 Ironhead sporty
1975 ss 250
1976 ss 250
1973 sx 350 3 ea
1974 ss 350
1973 ss 350 w/sidecar
post #3 of 6 Old 06-03-2016, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you're renting a truck to move .............add a rental motorcycle trailer to the mix and tow it behind the truck. (U-Haul rent motorcycle trailers here where I live anyway)

The bike will be secured in a chock built into the trailer, and the appropriate tie downs will be there too.

Then you don't have to worry about driving like a "little old lady", and worry about the bike falling over.

That's what I'd do.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)

post #4 of 6 Old 06-03-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm using the truck to get myself and my bike to the starting point of a road and riding back to my home over a few days, literally the only thing in the truck will be my bike and bags.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Ride "both ways" in a big circle, so you're not covering the same roads twice.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-01-2017, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good to hear that you are planning to secure your bike by strapping it to the walls of the box so that your bike cannot turn or get damaged. Making a plan for your own bike transportation is a good idea, but sometimes heavy traffic can be unsafe especially at highway speeds. I would suggest you look for an expert's opinions or search for information online when choosing a carrier that would complement your motorcycle or you can choose an experience and effective bike transportation service also. Last month my brother had hired an auto transport Palm Springs service which was provided by We Will Transport It companies, who had taken over the responsibility of his bike and the professional supplier had monitor each and every movement of his vehicle till his bike were delivered at his home. So, now it is your choice which one you would prefer to transport your bike.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page