LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Security Setup?

i know I may sound paranoid, but I secure the **** out of my bike. I chain it to my car in the parking lot, and I want to get a cover that locks, possibly with a tamper alarm. I saw one online that has a little ripcord so if someone takes the cover off without disabling the alarm it'll start blasting. Just curious what people do to secure their bikes and what I could possibly do better. I live in Milwaukee if that makes it a little more relevant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
with my V-Rod in USA, i was paying enough full coverage insurance (GEICO) that if the bike got yoinked i'd be compensated. i lived on Army bases so there was little risk parking outside. when i got discharged from the Army, i kept it garaged in a rented self storage unit (Jacksonville, FL)

now, with my 750 here in Philippines, i only park the Street in secured parking lots, or wherever it is in full view of a private security guard (lots of them here in Philippines: at malls, supermarkets, restaurants, even churches)

2008 VRSCDA, locked in storage
2015 XG750 made in India
both Vivid Black
Honda Wave125 daily scooter
post #3 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Here's what I did on my bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXVnYDg7QAo
Just something I whipped up DIY to provide an extra level of protection.
tonydl likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Write up of a diy would be much appreciated! Very cool mod ?
CorkyF and UnaClocker like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-25-2016, 05:11 PM

My setup is all buttoned up, but I ordered some components off eBay out of China to make a few more, I'll make a write-up on it when they arrive.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Get a Guard Cat ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT_1466533987757_20160617_052736_1467034975986.jpg (85.1 KB, 21 views)
tonydl likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-10-2016, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I live in an apartment in an urban part of NJ, maybe 4 miles outside of lower Manhattan. I'm paranoid myself. I've come to a few conclusions based on research. All chains are worthless. They're to keep the dips hits from walking off with your bike. But any chain can be broken. Sure I have one, but it's just to make a good thief carry a really big pair of bolt cutters and waste an extra 30 secs of his life on me. I have a disc lock with alarm, and a dowco cover with an `alarm` on it. If you pull off the cover it will sound if it's positioned well. I've opted to not put gps on it and instead put rea,ly good insurance on it. If a thief does get it, I'll just wait the 30 days and get a new one. I'd ,ike to put that NFC chip I saw in a post above. Maybe even gps one day. I also rent a garage and store the bike there mostly. That's really the best security you can have for a bike.

Street 750
post #8 of 13 Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the $20 drive way motion detector alarms on my drive way at home. At home I put a motion detector from the house system on the rear tire under the fender. It's painted black, no one in the world is going to notice it. If it moves or falls off the tire the house alarm goes off.

When I travel I use the drive way motion detector set up on the bike. Those are painted black to and I use it the same way, motion detector facing down on the tire. You get ZERO false alarms but you can hardly touch the bike with out moving that or knocking it clear off. Once moved it just ding ding dings at the receiver where ever I am no matter what you try to do with it. It's good with in about 100 yards of the bike. Plenty from a parking lot in to a hotel room or restaurant.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-15-2016, 10:04 PM

Here's my latest trick. Actually had to drill one of the holes ever so slightly larger to fit that lock through. I did it on the back as I figured it'd be possible to pick up the front tire and carry it if you had two people. Not very possible on the back tire. And I also have a cable, so I can additionally run a cable from that lock on the rotor to something nearby. Can never have too many things.
Also, has anyone looked at the TrackR device? I'm not sure I buy their claims, but it's cheap enough to just toss one on the bike and hope it works.

2016 Street 5̶0̶0̶ 750
post #10 of 13 Old 08-15-2016, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I am not familiar with the TrackR device, but I use quite a few Tile devices. You can get them for about $20 and they are fairly weatherproof. The batteries will die in about a year so you have to replace them annually.

They work through Bluetooth and a bunch of people use the tile app which means as long as it is near one of them you should be able to find it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page