• 4 Post By 27713

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Sighting in the Wild

I was out with a buddy yesterday on our way to lunch and heard a loud motorcycle coming up behind us. The rider stayed in my blind spot for a fair distance before traffic in my lane slowed down and he passed me. As he passed it was obnoxiously loud. I looked over to see what model of bike it was and to my horror it was a fellow on a Street 750 with what looked like an open pipe and racing bars. It was my first sighting of a Street in the wild and, frankly, it was revolting.

I have been checking out all makes and models of bikes as I waited for the state DMV to find my motorcycle endorsement that they managed to lose. I have looked at every bike out there and studied spec's until my brain hurts. I keep coming back to the Street 750 as likely the best bike for me. This sighting in the wild though almost makes me sick but I keep telling myself (and my buddy who hates loud bikes as much as I do) that my bike will have a stock exhaust.
UnaClocker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone can mod anything. Someone can ruin a Mustang, Corvette, CBR600, a Ninja etc with crappy mods. It's all in the eye [or ear] of the beholder, so to speak. The good news is if you get a 750, the stock exhaust is quiet and civilized. You will certainly not disturb the peace with it. Exhaust being too loud was a concern for me, once I heard a stock 750 at the dealer I knew I would be fine and not upset my neighbors. A good exhaust, to me, is not something that is loud for the sake of being loud, but something that has a nice deep tone/note. The stock exhaust is OK on open throttle but lacks that at idle IMO which is why many switch. Some of the aftermarket exhausts are both loud and deep, some are quiet with a deeper tone. I may upgrade to the Harley Screamin' Eagle exhaust, since that also appears to be relatively quiet as delivered, but with a deeper tone.

To each their own.

-Joe
post #3 of 10 Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I can't help but wonder where this was....As it sounds like my bike.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony tbags View Post
I can't help but wonder where this was....As it sounds like my bike.
Minneapolis.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-03-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm in the Minneapolis area but I rarely make it into the actual city of Minneapolis itself. I have a shorter pipe and drag bars but mine is pretty low and throaty. I guess I can't speak for how it sounds aside from on top of the bike though. I've seen a few streets around the area but it's far and few between
post #6 of 10 Old 10-03-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiske1 View Post
I'm in the Minneapolis area but I rarely make it into the actual city of Minneapolis itself. I have a shorter pipe and drag bars but mine is pretty low and throaty. I guess I can't speak for how it sounds aside from on top of the bike though. I've seen a few streets around the area but it's far and few between
It was in Plymouth headed east on 55 by the 169 interchange during the lunch hour. Don't recall which day.

It's a free country and people can legally run whatever pipes they want. I respect their right to do so but I don't like the imposition of noise pollution on everyone else. I live in a scenic area that gets a lot of weekend riders. Loud bikes are the worst as the riders have no concept of how far the sound is traveling out in the country when there isn't urban background noise to consume the sound.

My neighbor just took a 2017 Street Glide with the new Milwaukee Eight. He's leaving the stock pipes on until after engine complete break-in. Why in the world anyone would change the exhaust on that engine is beyond me but he will. It is possibly the mellowest tone I have ever heard - Barry White mellow. Gorgeous sound but non-offensive in its volume.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Not everyone has your same opinion, try to respect their freedom and not shove your opinion down their throats too heavily.

2016 Street 5̶0̶0̶ 750
post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2016, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sounds like it was probably me, I'm in the Plymouth area a lot. If it was I apologize for bothering you with the noise. Like I said I can't speak for how the bike sounds while riding. Idling its low and throaty. While moving its drowned out to me by the wind noise and my helmet. With the stock pipe on I couldn't hear anything the bike was doing over 40 miles per hour which is why I changed the pipe in the first place. Either way, if it was me sorry for the noise.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiske1 View Post
Sounds like it was probably me, I'm in the Plymouth area a lot. If it was I apologize for bothering you with the noise. Like I said I can't speak for how the bike sounds while riding. Idling its low and throaty. While moving its drowned out to me by the wind noise and my helmet. With the stock pipe on I couldn't hear anything the bike was doing over 40 miles per hour which is why I changed the pipe in the first place. Either way, if it was me sorry for the noise.
It was very considerate of you to apologize and not go all 'Merica on me with freedom bullshit.

Your bike was fine at idle. Glad you wear a helmet.

Be more than happy to buy you lunch if it fits your schedule. Tuesdays at the Perkins at General Mills Blvd & 55 at 11:45am. Ask for Vanessa. Tell her you are there to have lunch with Mike & Mike. She'll bring you to our table. We are a couple of old guys but we'll ask all sorts of questions about your bike and riding experiences in the western burbs. Completely gratis for being a stand-up guy.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I like this! Peace in the valley!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page