LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 10-07-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Furthest Ride on 750

What is the longest trip you guys have done? Do you have a windshield and upgraded seat? My friend wants me to ride to Sturgis from Philly next year but I am thinking on the street as of now no windshield or upgraded seat would be a rough trip over all those miles. I'd kinda want to wait a few years til I have a second bike that is bigger(I doubt I will ever get rid of this guy too good for getting around town and being first model year kinda cool to keep) but wondering your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-07-2016, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It's definitely an urban bike meant for running around town and stuff. At about 100 miles the seat becomes uncomfortable for me. Over 300 miles and I have trouble sitting for a day afterwards. Perhaps it's possible to toughen up and push through that? Haven't tried yet. Plan to.
I've always had a windshield on mine, so I can't vouch for distance without one. I had a scooter before this bike, and I had always wished it had a windshield for ANY length of trip.
Highway pegs, after about 200 miles you really want to start stretching your legs out. Even just on 100 mile stretches between stops, could go much further and more comfortably with highway pegs.
As for a bigger bike.. I have a 500, so it gets 65+mpg on long trips. I'd be inclined to keep using this bike for long trips. But I hear you on keeping this bike when you get something else. I haven't decided what I want next, NightRod, Scout 60, Fat Boy S...

2016 Street 5̶0̶0̶ 750
post #3 of 39 Old 10-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I routinely ride my 750 120 - 130 miles out & back to our ranch. I typically cruise between 60 and 70mph. I am 64 and comfort is important. I strongly recommend the following: 1) Windshield. The one HD offers is good enough if you adjust the height properly. I ended up with a 3" gap above the top of the headlight. 2) Seat. The Mustang Fastback was my choice but after an hour its too hard (or my butt's too bony). I added a AirHawk DS seat pad and can now ride the entire distance without discomfort. Don't over inflate it. 3) Foot pegs. I replaced the OEM foot pegs with mini foot boards sold by HD. They are easier on the feet. 4) Other. I am also running highway pegs off the engine guard. It feels good to stretch out but I haven't solved the wind problem yet. The wind really gives your pants legs a workout! Would appreciate anyone's advice on this. Hope that helps. Critter

post #4 of 39 Old 10-08-2016, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
farthest i've ever gone on two wheels was a round trip weekend from Sierra Visa, Arizona to San Diego, California with my V-Rod back in 2008. no comfort mods like windshield or seat; just a fullface helmet with leather jacket and chaps got me thru a few quickie rain showers along the way. the only cold was atop the Cuyamaca mountains, didn't mind not having a windshield because of the typical desert heat along most of the route -- a windshield is a definite must if riding when weather gets a little too cool, wind chill is no joke

for my Street750 i've never done more than 270km riding in one day because of the lousy traffic conditions along the roads i chose to ride upon here in Philippines. stock seat is literally a pain to the arse after 70 minutes or so of saddle time

2008 VRSCDA, locked in storage
2015 XG750 made in India
both Vivid Black
Honda Wave125 daily scooter
post #5 of 39 Old 10-08-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Longest ride

My longest ride was 230miles from the dealers in Plymouth Devon to my mom's house Burton upon Trent. Motorway most of the way. Was fairly comfortable & stopped twice to fill up.
post #6 of 39 Old 10-09-2016, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
The Furthest I went on mine was, To the York PA Vehicle Operations. 120 Miles of Back Roads. Took about 3 1/2 hours to get there. The Mustang Fastback seat is Hard. But it positions me further away from the gas tank.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #7 of 39 Old 10-09-2016, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung048 View Post
What is the longest trip you guys have done? Do you have a windshield and upgraded seat? My friend wants me to ride to Sturgis from Philly next year but I am thinking on the street as of now no windshield or upgraded seat would be a rough trip over all those miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
4) Other. I am also running highway pegs off the engine guard. It feels good to stretch out but I haven't solved the wind problem yet. The wind really gives your pants legs a workout! Would appreciate anyone's advice on this. Hope that helps. Critter
All of my experience, except for some local driving,, has been with the HD windshield, initially, and now with Memphis Shades Batwing. Batwing is slightly better than HD windshield, but much more $$. I have 12,000 miles on my almost 2 year old bike.

The longest I have ridden in one day was 660 miles. Quite a mistake. The last hundred miles on Interstate dropping out of the mountains, from 10,000 feet to 5000 feet and with lots of construction and unmarked lanes and cold hands and feet and sore butt. Was reduced to riding it in 30 mile chunks. That was with Tallboy seat.

Anyway, have ridden the 400 miles to Sturgis twice now. First year with the aforementioned Tallboy Seat By the third day at Sturgis, needed the Airhawk, which helped greatly for the ride home. This year rode it with Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat and while I brought the Airhawk, I didn't have to use it. Was able to go riding with my friend after arrival this year while, last year would have had to rest before any other riding. I have ridden 400 miles in a day a couple of times this year, but most days my riding is about 300 miles in a single day.

I have for the last 3000 miles had forward controls, so feet are not quite as high up as highway pegs, but the pant legs sure do flap against my legs now. Is this why motorcycle cops wear pant legs inside boots? https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...1&d=1476045704 The cure for that has been some lower leg chaps, similar to gaiters. I have used gaiters from REI, but now have a pair of leather gaiters from Leather Legs . So much easier to put on than full leg chaps and give the protection I need for the parts of my legs sticking out without covering and heating up my thighs. Saw a movie The Homesman in which Tommy Lee Jones wore the same kind of thing.
https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...=19705&thumb=1
Although he stole them from this guy (after the girl in background rescued Tommy Lee by shooting the dude)

https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...=19713&thumb=1

But I digress. To summarize:
1. The windshield or Batwing is very helpful in keeping me from getting too tired. I am 6 foot, so my head is above either the windshield or the Batwing, so my helmet always gets some buffeting. I don't think I would like to ride more than 200 miles at a time without it.
2. The stock seat is brutal. And I include the Tallboy seat in the brutal category. Airhawk helped greatly. Corbin seat has been great.
3. Leg protection has helped even with stock leg positioning and especially with legs forward. For long trips, forward controls have helped me, much like highway pegs would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tommy-Lee-Jones-stars-in-The-Homesman cropped.jpg (81.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg the_homesman_screen_comment.jpg (291.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg CHiP's cropped.jpg (46.6 KB, 44 views)
nollid51 likes this.

Not all those who wander are lost.
post #8 of 39 Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the post on the Corbin seat. I'm 6'4" and the tallboy seat was a massive improvement over stock, but I sometimes get uncomfortable. I will either have to stand up in the saddle or pull over because I get a pain in my leg/hip. Maybe that's just a health problem made worse by the seat/peg position. I might put the Corbin on my list.

2016 Street 750
post #9 of 39 Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nollid51 View Post
Thanks for the post on the Corbin seat. I'm 6'4" and the tallboy seat was a massive improvement over stock, but I sometimes get uncomfortable. I will either have to stand up in the saddle or pull over because I get a pain in my leg/hip. Maybe that's just a health problem made worse by the seat/peg position. I might put the Corbin on my list.
I like the comfort of the Corbin Seat, which is much better under my butt. If I were to order the Corbin seat again, i would communicate with them better and make sure they had the seat cut much further back. I can use it with my forward controls, but doubt i would be able to use the seat with the stock, mid-controls. And I am only 6 foot tall, not 6' 4" like you. There is a strip of trim between the front rider portion of the seat and the passenger portion, which is at least two inches wide. If I were having them make me another seat, I would ask for that trim to be much less wide and for the seat to be set much further back. In the ordering process, they do ask about height, but at least in my case did not seem to have adjusted for height.
Also there was another thread from a person who picked up a Corbin Seat at Sturgis and found that he couldn't use the sissy bar which attaches to the luggage rack. He was quite happy with them, as they were able and willing to make some changes to the seat to accommodate the sissy bar.
I think my hips got a lot better on the bike when i had the reduced reach handlebars put on as well.
Enjoy, and keep the rubber down.

Not all those who wander are lost.
post #10 of 39 Old 10-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Leo
Banned

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Wow!
It seems that a lot of you use the Street for long distance touring.

The longest that I've done is 19 miles round trip.

I don't think I'd want to go more than 25 miles per day, as I believe that any more might be detrimental to the motor.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page