17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Indian Production Quality

Is anyone worried about Indian Prodcution Quality?

Honda had well publicized quality control issues in India with their CBR250R...

European customers may scream bloody murder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
India has some quality car brands and sells the number one brand of farm tractor in the world; many of which are breaking ground all of the U.S. and Europe. That same Indian tractor maker, Mahindra, is also an automaker and nearly marketed a diesel pickup truck to the U.S. except that they learned the hard way about all the entry barriers for selling on-road vehicles in the U.S. Tata Motors nearly bought out GM's Hummer a few years ago and would have been the manufacturer of an American car had that deal gone through.

I think it's more of a question of how well the company sets up shop in India, and the supply chain rather than abilities of Indian workers to make a good product.

Hasn't HD already been making bikes there before the Street?
Firoze likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
No Earlier HD Bike parts were imported from US and assembled in India, for the first time they are starting production.

Four wheels move the body... Two wheels move the soul...

post #4 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
If one is serious about quality , I think we can produce good stuff though I dont expect it to be on par with the best(purely my opinion). But not so bad that it should be an issue either. jaguar and range rover are owned by indian company and as such have major assembly lines in pune but the critical stuffs like motor or tranny are still imported from CHINA. Even the german premium brands have assembly line here and press the panels etc in the country .

One thing I have noticed is almost every international manufacturer tries to import the entire motor(if not most of the parts) from abroad , HD if I'm correct will be the first high profile motorcycles with the motor built in india as well. It helps in the sense that it removes import duty for us and makes it cheaper but will it prove reliable ? only time will tell.

Ducatis triumphs are completely manufactured in indonesia , thailand etc these days . They are not that ahead of india tbh so if they can do it , I think it is more than possible to achieve similar level of quality here. Is the asian ducati as good as italian ? Honestly no idea :/

China india and other asian countries are very flexible , they can roll out quality or quantity or both or neither . It is the brand you need to worry about and whether you feel they might try to cut corners..
sunny_sahdev likes this.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
production quality just comes down to training and quality control of the factory. paying your staff well doesn't hurt either
post #6 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
production quality just comes down to training and quality control of the factory. paying your staff well doesn't hurt either
Happy workers = better product. Many companies don't get this and just treat their employee's like slaves, which is the worst thing to do.

sunny_sahdev likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Look, I understand that India has had its own manufacturing base of many products for some time now. The difference though is that Indian produced bikes/cars have typically been solely for the Indian market.

I just wonder how European customers are going to react if certain corners are cut. Like or example, does the European Street 750 get the same Michelin Scorcher II's as US bikes...
post #8 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
I hope Harley can do better in India than the Indian defense sector does. Even with experienced foreign firms holding their hands all the way, India has a very tough time producing their own designs on time and under budget. Look how long India has been fooling around with the Arjun tank and LCA, Light Combat Aircraft. We have had joint exercises with the Indian Navy with our people cross decking to their ships, and our folks come back shaking their heads at the poor material condition of even Indias best and newest ships. Dirty and run down looking even when only a few years old.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
Look, I understand that India has had its own manufacturing base of many products for some time now. The difference though is that Indian produced bikes/cars have typically been solely for the Indian market.

I just wonder how European customers are going to react if certain corners are cut. Like or example, does the European Street 750 get the same Michelin Scorcher II's as US bikes...
Yes from what I read , all export bikes get michellin tyres. If I were you however , I wont worry about tyres but the engine itself. If any fault are to arise , it will be primarily from the motor . No need to worry about the frame etc , those jobs if executed by good technicians will be top notch. BMW , mercedes etc etc all try to fabricate as much as possible here so we can do those jobs. I get your doubts though , indian unlike most of europe is behind when it comes to industry standards and if I were in your place , I will prefer a localised product as well.
But we are moving into the era of outsourcing , china already rules most of the market , I was told that the range rovers and jags sold in britain these days are made in china. Another 3 decades , rolls royce will join the club

@Desert Tortoise , the manpower and infratructure exists here to do a quality job. However if the person handing out the contract is corrupt and willing to cut corners , it is more than possible and reason why armed forces(especially navy , air force is fine , army is good) are in the state they are. What I'm trying to say is if HD is intent on quality , they can deliver that but if they are willing to cut corner/take a shortcut , they will be able to do that with ease as well. Since you know the company better than me , do you think that is a possibility ?

One personal experience I will like to share -
Mercedes has been present here for a long time and now source many engine parts from indian vendors as well . I happened to visit one such facility which manufactures crank for both merc(4 and 6 cyl engines) and tata(and other indian brands) at the same place. Tata vehicles normally cost a fraction of a merc , I'm not sure if this is merc cutting corners or tata having high standard but both have very strong reputation in india(different customer base) so you get the idea.

Last edited by basuroy; 02-27-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #10 of 28 Old 02-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
I can say this, Mercedes engines manufactured in Venezuela, which routinely turn up in big trucks in the US under the Freightliner name, are prone to expensive big end failures. I don't know about the quality of Mercedes components from India, but I would not buy anything they made in Venezuela. Not impressed.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page