User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-20-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stuck Throttle Update

Harley dealer finally tore into the motor 2 weeks ago. It turns out the stuck throttle was caused by a bolt that holds the air cleaner backing plate. Unfortunately when the throttle got unstuck at high RPM the bolt went into the rear cylinder. Grand Canyon HD ordered a new jug, piston, and head. Parts finally arrived 2 weeks later. They had trouble getting the cylinder off and found that the top half of the piston was still in the cylinder. The piston broke in half at the wrist pin. With all the pieces of piston in the case they have decided to do a complete rebuild. No crate motor is available according to the dealer. I'm not impressed with a rebuild on a 1300 mile bike. Also not impressed that it takes 2 weeks every time they have to order a part. I was informed yesterday that the rebuild will be done by a independent mechanic from Phoenix since they have nobody certified to work on the new water cooled engine. Really not impressed with HD at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-20-2016, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds bad to me, I would call HD and have a talk with them. They should replace with a crate motor from the factory, there is no excuse for that. May be time to go legal, although I hate saying that.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-21-2016, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Hindsight has advantages. Had this happened to me I would have pushed for a new crate motor, even if it took another two weeks. My reason would be that I feel that in future vibration on a half new, half old motor may be a reality.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black

post #4 of 4 Old 11-21-2016, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
That almost happened to me. The bolt that holds the Backing Plate to the Front Cylinder was backing out. I found it when I went to clean my K&N Filter.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page