LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Harley Extended Warranty

Hi all. Stopped at the Chapel today. Went to find out How expensive the Harley Extended Warranty was. My 750 is still under Factory until Sept 5 2017.

Was told the 1 Year Additional runs around $1500. The 5 Year is a Staggering $2500. I am just rounding the numbers up because of Tax. These prices are with the Tire and Wheel coverage.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
$1500 for one year or 2500 for 5 which works out to $500/yr.

Unlimited warranty including wheel and tires? I could go through 3 sets of tires in 2 years, so this is a no brainer to me.

2 Days Older Than Dirt
post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
$50 Deductible.

I have Car Insurance Renewals in Feb and Aug. Motorcycle Renewal in August. Guess I need to start saving.

2018 Custom 1200

post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2016, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Novotny View Post
$1500 for one year or 2500 for 5 which works out to $500/yr.

Unlimited warranty including wheel and tires? I could go through 3 sets of tires in 2 years, so this is a no brainer to me.
Might want to look into it a bit further.

First, it isn't "unlimited" warranty. Harley says "We offer comprehensive coverage on most major components, parts and systems." I don't know what that means, you'd have to dig into the contract to find out what is and isn't covered.

Second, the tire & wheel coverage doesn't replace worn out tires. It covers road damage only (i.e., you run over a nail and get a flat). And even then, it only covers that hazard IF your tires aren't worn out (i.e., they still need to have 3/32" of tread on 'em.) It's not like Harley's going to go around buying people new sets of tires whenever they need 'em! Normal wear 'n' tear is on your dime, not theirs. The coverage might be worth it if you spend a lot of time touring, because it provides for towing and even meal & lodging reimbursement if you're more than 100 miles away from home. If I had a CVO Electra Glide and racked up 20,000 miles a year touring the USA, then yes I'd be very interested. For a Street that spends its life commuting nearby, it may not be as appealing.

Now, I've seen some folks on the web who say "just drive a drywall screw into your tire whenever the tread gets down to 4/32"... well, I guess if one's the type to commit insurance fraud, they can get a different deal from what the honest guy gets...

And if tire coverage is what you are most interested in, it's available separately, you don't have to get the overall extended warranty just to get tire coverage.

Harley's extended warranty website is here: Extended Service Plans | HDFS | Harley-Davidson USA

Last edited by Gaijin; 12-30-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I was given the Pamphlet. Most of the stuff isn't on the Street models. I don't see anywhere about Emission related parts. O2 Sensors for example

2018 Custom 1200
post #6 of 8 Old 01-07-2017, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Might want to look into it a bit further.

First, it isn't "unlimited" warranty. Harley says "We offer comprehensive coverage on most major components, parts and systems." I don't know what that means, you'd have to dig into the contract to find out what is and isn't covered.

Second, the tire & wheel coverage doesn't replace worn out tires. It covers road damage only (i.e., you run over a nail and get a flat). And even then, it only covers that hazard IF your tires aren't worn out (i.e., they still need to have 3/32" of tread on 'em.) It's not like Harley's going to go around buying people new sets of tires whenever they need 'em! Normal wear 'n' tear is on your dime, not theirs. The coverage might be worth it if you spend a lot of time touring, because it provides for towing and even meal & lodging reimbursement if you're more than 100 miles away from home. If I had a CVO Electra Glide and racked up 20,000 miles a year touring the USA, then yes I'd be very interested. For a Street that spends its life commuting nearby, it may not be as appealing.

Now, I've seen some folks on the web who say "just drive a drywall screw into your tire whenever the tread gets down to 4/32"... well, I guess if one's the type to commit insurance fraud, they can get a different deal from what the honest guy gets...

And if tire coverage is what you are most interested in, it's available separately, you don't have to get the overall extended warranty just to get tire coverage.

Harley's extended warranty website is here: Extended Service Plans | HDFS | Harley-Davidson USA
Thank you for this information. I paraphrased a comment from a previous Post in this thread. That's why I put a question mark after it. Actually my bike is so heavily modified that there's no way that H-D would warranty anything.
BTW - you seem a little too courteous to be what I would classify as a "Gaijin".

2 Days Older Than Dirt
post #7 of 8 Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
they offered the extended warranty when i bought my 500 but said it was only good at their dealership so i turned it down figurin it wouldnt be any good if i was travelin
Dave Novotny likes this.

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino
post #8 of 8 Old 01-08-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sure it was a Harley Warranty? Their Warranty should be good at any Dealership.

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page