Real Performance Upgrades For XG500 & XG750 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 01-05-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Real Performance Upgrades For XG500 & XG750

Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle & S&S and others are you listening?

Where's the Camshaft Upgrades?
Where's the big bore kits?
Where's the Throttle Body Upgrades?
Where's the Cylinder Heads & Kit's?
Where's the Full Header Kits?
How about a standard size handlebar?

Where are the real, tangible performance enhancements for the Harley Davidson Street XG500 & XG750 ?

Tired of reading, buy a 750 if you don't like your XG500 performance or buy a Sportster if you don't like your XG750 performance.

Tired of rolling stock Rice Burners costing half the money of the same displacement Harley Street XG500 or XG750 blowing the proverbial doors off them.

I can't be alone in my view. I'm doing my part to Make America Great Again by buying only American Products, when they are available.
aussie biker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I'm with you on a lot of this. Personally I would really like for a full 2 into 2 exhaust/header combination to be released by someone. Something that looks similar to Sportster or Indian Scout exhaust.

Realistically though, it's hard to expect a lot of aftermarket manufacturer's if they dont think they will see the returns. It's also a brand new motor.

FYI, there is a big bore kit for these bikes:

NAVBAR_TITLE - Revolution Performance

2016 Street 750
post #3 of 36 Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle & S&S and others are you listening?

Where's the Camshaft Upgrades?
Where's the big bore kits?
Where's the Throttle Body Upgrades?
Where's the Cylinder Heads & Kit's?
Where's the Full Header Kits?
How about a standard size handlebar?

Where are the real, tangible performance enhancements for the Harley Davidson Street XG500 & XG750 ?

I'm
Tired of reading, buy a 750 if you don't like your XG500 performance or buy a Sportster if you don't like your XG750 performance.

I'm Tired of rolling stock Rice Burners costing half the money of the same displacement Harley Street XG500 or XG750 blowing the proverbial doors off them.

I can't be alone in my view. I'm doing my part to Make America Great Again by buying only American Products, when they are available.
bold mine

There. I'm doing my part to make your post readable. You know that the Streets came out 2 years ago... It takes time to do real market research and figure out where the needs are for R&D to develop newer, bigger, better parts. Frankly the great improvements that Harley made in the '16 and again in the '17 models lets me know that they are accepting feedback and making changes based on input for the consumers.

Heck the ENTIRE line says a lot that Harley went the extra mile to create a whole new 'entry level' bike to get new riders on the road on an HD bike that was totally new and different than anything else they produce speaks volumes about the faith that they have put in the consumer to venture into untested waters with the newer, smaller metric motor.

It really sounds like you are not happy with the street line.

If you don't like it... really don't like it, do something about it. Chop it. Make it your own, on your own. Don't wait for someone else to solve your problem for you.

Remember freedom is built not bought.
aussie biker likes this.

A well armed hippie with a poor attitude about how the left has redefined 'Liberal'.

post #4 of 36 Old 01-06-2017, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
If there was a market for it, they'd do it. Is there really a real, sustainable market for it?

The Street is designed to appeal to new riders, who wouldn't have bought a different Harley. So how many of those new riders are seasoned veteran mechanics who could install a cam kit themselves without screwing something up? Probably not as many, percentage-wise, as there are guys doing so to Knuckleheads and Shovelheads.

Second, the Street is, almost entirely, still under warranty. Is anyone here's bike out of warranty yet? I have a 2015, and it's still under warranty for another month. So how many people are going to void their warranty doing their own labor to install go-fast parts? Probably not that many of us. Once the bike's out of warranty I'll be installing the parts that are available (pipe & intake).

Third, you may be tired of hearing it, but seriously -- there's no way any amount of go-go parts are going to turn a Street 500 into something as powerful as a Street 750, at anything approaching a reasonable expense level. There is no easier, quicker, faster, cheaper speed boost possible than trading a Street 500 in for a 750.

Fourth, the Street 750 is actually pretty reasonable for a Harley, power-wise. Harley's big twins have been notorious for being terrible performers as compared to the 4-cylinder rice rockets, but the Street 750 is much more reasonable. It'll blow the doors off a Sportster, even though the Sportster has an engine that's 20% bigger (and yes, I know Sportsters don't have doors). It's not like the Street 750 totally sucks; it'll do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, a speed that up until a few years ago was considered "supercar" territory. Sure, it's not sub-3 seconds, but a Street isn't a rice rocket either. For comparison, a Sportster 883 hits 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. The Street is already performing like a Sportster that's had thousands of dollars of go-fast parts put in it.

In fact, the Street 750 is one of the quickest bikes in harley's entire lineup. The V-Rod will blow it away, but it'll hang in tight or beat just about everything else they offer.
The 103 cubic-inch Breakout hits 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, same as the Street.
The 883-cc Iron 883 does it in 5.6 seconds.
The 1200cc Harley Roadster does it in 4.7 seconds.

And that's stock; a good pipe & intake should have the Street showing taillights to nearly everything in the Harley lineup except the V-Rod. Now, this doesn't make the Street some sort of superbike in the world of Japanese motorcycles, but for a Harley it's already really rather remarkable. And compared to a comparable Japanese v-twin, it's still doing well. The NC700X hits 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, the Street 750 has a slightly bigger engine and does it in 4.6. The Yamaha Star Bolt is a 942cc V-twin, and the Street 750 can outrun it; it takes 4.9 seconds to 60. It sounds to me like the Street is doing quite well in comparison to bikes of comparable design from other manufacturers.

Would I like more go-fast parts to be available? Sure. Are they truly necessary, and do they make economic sense given the demographics of the Street buyer? Apparently not, or they'd already be offered. But, again, as more and more of us come out of warranty, maybe we'll see more parts offered.
meph1st0, Propnut, Eggy and 3 others like this.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-06-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nollid51 View Post
FYI, there is a big bore kit for these bikes:

NAVBAR_TITLE - Revolution Performance
Well, yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I bought my XG750 for $4499. Am I really going to spend $920 (plus another who knows how many hundreds of dollars for tax, shipping, and installation) to increase the displacement by 6.7%?

No.

A 33% increase, like the Sportster 883 to 1200, well, maybe. But for a 6.7% increase? No, it'd be insane to spend that much for that little on a bike that cost this little. And would I void my warranty to do it? Oh HAIL NO.

Now, something like Harley's cam kit for the Milwaukee-8 looks more promising. They're talking about a $389 cam kit that promises 14% more torque, or 24% more power... that's the kind of thing I could see doing. And that price point is not much more than a slip-on exhaust for the Street, so that's reasonable. I'd like to see them do something like that for the Street, but I guess it depends on the overall cost including installation to see if it'd be a truly viable type of product for a bike this inexpensive.
jiprovi likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 01-06-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not connected with them in any way, I just wanted to link that to show the OP that there are indeed options for this bike. I personally wouldnt spring for an extra 2mm of bore/ 50cc. Big bore kits and anything involving engine work is best suited to used bikes IMO, since you can pick one up cheap and have plenty of budget for upgrades.

Like you said, people buying a new bike generally dont want to void their warranty. The type that buys a new bike and upgrades it heavily are people dropping huge amounts of money on the bike to start, definitely not a street.

The street isn't a sport bike, so you shouldnt be comparing it to a 600cc inline 4. For the class of bike it is in[standard], it is a great bike.
Gaijin, jiprovi and 8831lee like this.

2016 Street 750
post #7 of 36 Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
As a rider with less than a year under my belt I can't really see a need to upgrade my street's performance. I have whatever the motorcycle riders equivalent of a lead foot is (lead grip? lead wrist?) I gun it as hard as it will go every time I drive it so it isn't like I am scared of speed. I have yet to have anything in the lane next to me keep up when the light goes green.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I got a message from Jon at Rekluse clutches today. They are working a on a clutch kit for the Street series, and expect to have a release some time this year. If you don't know what Rekluse clutches are google rekluse.com and take a look. They already make high performance clutches for dirt bikes, dual purpose bikes, ATV's, and the larger H-D twins including Sportsters and Twin Cams. The combination of a Street 500 or 750 with the Rekluse clutch will make these bikes true "Urban Warriors". It will give the rider a true 6 speed transmission with a centrifugal clutch for low speed operation and maneuvers. No need to clutch on upshifts or downshifts either (unless you want to). And unlike other Centrifugal clutches, this one keeps the original clutch intact, so you can have the bike in gear and rev the throttle without taking off. Check out one of the many YouTube videos to see how it works (GREAT!). BTW - the moto-X crowd are using Rekluse clutches for faster launches when the gate drops.

This will also let H-D go after more of the "returning to bikes after many years" crowd. Yes, old farts like me, who previously only had the Honda CTX with DCT as an automatic clutch option. I'm not counting the scooters with CVT's as they really aren't good options for people who want a "bike" instead of a "scooter".

Anyway, this is one more manufacturer who is seeing that the Street series is for real.

I, like the original Poster, would liked to have seen more aftermarket support. it sure would have saved me a lot of hard work. I hand ported and extrude honed my heads, 3 angle valve job, homebuilt intake, and total new exhaust. Re-worked Sportster wheels, chain drive. Custom triple clamps and forks from a basket case Buell. I kept the 7/8" size on the bar, but changed to a solid alloy bar, because I've ridden a lot of other bikes with the same size and find nothing wrong with it. As far as big bore,... If I wanted big bore, I would have gotten a V-Rod. Anybody can get hp from cubic inches. I like what Vance & Hines have done to the flat tracker. It's still 750cc, but they coaxed 96hp out of it. And that's with an almost stock bottom end. The other option is the turbo that's been featured on a thread in this forum. THAT's the way to go, rather than a bore job.

If this bike needs more cc's, then a stoked crank would be my choice. One of the above poster's mentioned the NC700. That bike is only 670cc, is heavier, and is limited to 6500rpm, yet it will pull the Street 750 (stock) off the line. Its got a longer stroke and a smaller bore, and it's tuned for low/mid-range. That, and it's cousin the CTX700, are very tractable in low speed, which makes them perfect for heavy traffic, city riding, and they pull 2 up with no sweat. I know, I have a CTX700 (ABS/DCT) in my garage too.

And, if nobody's told you, it all changes in 2020 with the new global regulations. You're going to see a whole new batch of engines from H-D. The Milwaukee 8 is just the beginning. The new ones will be more like the Victory/Indian with liquid cooling, overhead cams, and 4 valves per cylinder. sound like the V-Rod? Watch for the new generation of that engine (bigger and badder), in a comfortable cruising/touring chassis. There's no way around it. It's gonna' happen. When that happens, the Sportster is going Bye-Bye, and the Street series will step up a bit to fill the gap.

One last thing tonight...
Watch for some almost immediate changes in the Street 500. Honda announced their new Rebel 500, and stole a ton of the "Urban Chic" attitude from H-D. Just go to the Honda website and check out their graphics. Old gray brick walls, and matte black bikes. Hmmm. /where did we see this before? The bike itself is interesting. They took their CBR500 and dropped it in a cruiser chassis. Low seat, wide flat bars, 16" wheels and tires (radials) front & back, 3 gallon steel tank, and a lot of attitude. Weighs 410 lbs., and puts out 44hp, so it's lighter and more powerful than the street 500. It's going to be an interesting year.

Have fun guys!
Propnut likes this.

2 Days Older Than Dirt
post #9 of 36 Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting and informed post Dave but why would anyone want to turn their bike into a scooter with that clutch ?

Sent from my VFD 300 using Tapatalk

Oi oi oi
post #10 of 36 Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie biker View Post
Interesting and informed post Dave but why would anyone want to turn their bike into a scooter with that clutch ?

Sent from my VFD 300 using Tapatalk
Some are like me with severe arthritis in the left hand. Some days I can't ride the 750 because I recognize a safety factor of not being able to squeeze the clutch when I need to, or squeezing the clutch and not being able to let it out slowly. I worry not just about getting hurt, but about creating a hazard for others. I ride my CTX with DCT almost every day for work commuting, and really could give a **** less, if people call it a scooter. Most "real" bikers call the 750 a "Girls Bike" anyway. So, if the Rekluse clutch is available, I might put it on my next H-D. Looking at a New Dyna Low Rider, and that might be the one.

If you look at the video, you'll see that (unlike a scooter) you still have to shift it manually. The advantage for me is that I can sit at a traffic light, on a hill in San Francisco, and just roll on the throttle to go. I don't have to worry about letting out the clutch,and having my hand not work right, and stalling, and having a Uber driver roll over me.
aussie biker likes this.

2 Days Older Than Dirt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page