3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Synthetic or Reg Oil?

Due for 1K service. Read here somewhere the bike has a smoother shift w/synthetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes, I went to Full Syn (Amsoil) at about 700 miles, better shifting was noticed immediately. I'm staying with it, in fact I'm about due for my 5000 mile change and check up.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
man.... still the age old debate... I will send a link to a video that will end the debate once and for all.... Synthetic is better in everyway... Of course when I break in a motor, I use conventional, due to the 500 mile interval to change and it being cheap to do so, and it's what I have done from the beginning, an old school machinist taught me that and he did it that way for every factory rebuild and every race motor and every turbo/super setup... 40+ years he was an ASE cert'd and had a ton of experience...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)

Last edited by DragonTalonTSiAWD; 02-02-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling and words didn't transfer from voice texting....

post #4 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
I have Questions concerning the Oil. Does anyone know what SAE Grade the Harley oil is? Is it SJ? SM? This is the First Motorcycle I have owned that doesn't specify the SAE. MA or MA2? I've been using Valvoline Synthetic 20/50 SJ with MA2 ratings. The 2010 Yamaha Majesty called for SG or Higher. I used the Valvoline Synthetic 10/40 SJ MA2. 14k Miles and never had a problem.

As far as a Filter? I have been using a Bosch Distance Plus D3300 on mine.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.... Every motorcycle/automobile I own, factory or performance, every turbo/super setup I do, I use synthetic.... No ifs ands or buts....
aussie biker likes this.

post #6 of 23 Old 02-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I highly recommend Amsoil full synthetic. You will notice that the gears shift more smoothly and you will be able to shift into neutral much better. Dealer wanted around $300 - I did it myself for $60 in oil and $15 for a stainless steel K&N oil filter. BTW you may want to change the round gasket for the oil plug while you're at it. It cost $0.90 at the dealership.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-03-2017, 04:15 PM

Oil drain plug gaskets and o-rings always get changed every oil change whenever I do the work, at least that's what people are supposed to do...

post #8 of 23 Old 02-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Owned cars for over 25 years, including a couple with high performance tight tolerance engines. Always used conventional oil. Never had a problem. As long as you change the oil when you should, conventional works perfectly fine.

With my Street 750 I have a chatter that happens when the clutch is in the friction zone during low speed maneuvers. I did my 5k service myself and used synthetic oil this time to see if that would cut down on the chatter. It didn't make any difference at all. So I am likely going back to conventional from here out. YMMV.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-04-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeive View Post
Owned cars for over 25 years, including a couple with high performance tight tolerance engines. Always used conventional oil. Never had a problem. As long as you change the oil when you should, conventional works perfectly fine.

With my Street 750 I have a chatter that happens when the clutch is in the friction zone during low speed maneuvers. I did my 5k service myself and used synthetic oil this time to see if that would cut down on the chatter. It didn't make any difference at all. So I am likely going back to conventional from here out. YMMV.
Exactly my point.... Did you not see the comparison video? And that was 25+ years in the past.... Things, including technology have changed... Some still hold true, others have changed with the times.... That's coming from a mechanical/engineering background with pictures, numbers, and logs of rebuilds and experience? Or is that coming from a customers standpoint in not believing in the price and kept conventional for that reason? You cannot convince me otherwise to switch from fully synthetic to conventional, other than an engine rebuild/break-in....

And we all know the shifting system in our Street models isn't exactly performance either... Mostly the foot controls and lever...

post #10 of 23 Old 02-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTalonTSiAWD View Post
Exactly my point.... Did you not see the comparison video? And that was 25+ years in the past.... Things, including technology have changed... Some still hold true, others have changed with the times.... That's coming from a mechanical/engineering background with pictures, numbers, and logs of rebuilds and experience? Or is that coming from a customers standpoint in not believing in the price and kept conventional for that reason? You cannot convince me otherwise to switch from fully synthetic to conventional, other than an engine rebuild/break-in....

And we all know the shifting system in our Street models isn't exactly performance either... Mostly the foot controls and lever...
Actually that is coming from an engineer, and based on information from a mechanical engineer who also supped up and raced cars. Do I have logs and numbers? No. But I have a few cars that I drove for 130,000 miles before selling on conventional oil and let us just say I didn't baby them at all. And I have never had a car with an oil related problem.

Price actually doesn't mean anything to me, I earn a good living. For me, I try and use what the car shipped with. If synthetic oils were that important the vehicles would ship from the factory with them don't you think? Is the Synthetic better? Probably. But with proper maintenance will the difference in quality impact me at all? Probably not.

And like I said, just posting my opinion. Not trying to sway yours. YMMV.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page