Fuel pump inlet recall or carb needs a tune? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel pump inlet recall or carb needs a tune?

So, I bought a 2015 xg750 in July of 2016 and I have recently in the past couple of months noticed that when I roll the throttle it bogs down and loses almost all power, then in an instant BAM the bike takes off like a rocket. It does this almost every time I take off from a stop on my bike. If I rev it up and then take off it's okay, but I have to rev is pretty high for it to get past the bogging sound from the tail pipe. It has caused me to almost lose control of the bike a couple of times because of how hard it will accelerate. I read on NHTSA.com there was a recall on July 29, 2015 for the fuel pump inlet and the description of it is to a T what my bike has been doing. Surely the dealership didn't sell me a bike without repairing the recall? Don't they have to do all recalls before selling it if they know about it? I bought it a year after the recall. I haven't received anything in the mail of any sorts... I would have assumed they done it, but now I'm not so sure.. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-07-2017, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Well you can ask them for the VIN check on your bike, they should be able to tell you if the recall (which is free to repair) has been repaired or not... Carb? Really? Definitely not a carbureted motorcycle, you did research for the recall, why not the actual motorcycle you own? That's one of the selling points for me is that it is a 6 speed and fuel injected... To me it does sound like some type of fuel cut/surge but without riding it and experiencing it I cannot say for sure, it is like shooting in the dark... And I don't know, I think you are giving them too much credit, never assume, never take their word for it, ask, and ask to be shown on paper, in black and white, something tangible. Otherwise, you get screwed bigtime...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #3 of 39 Old 02-07-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
You got me this time DragonTalon!! You may have won the battle but not the war. Lol, but seriously. I should have looked more into the bike I own.. ? Thank you for your input and I'm going to call them and run the VIN.

post #4 of 39 Old 02-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Under Federal Law they cannot Legally Deliver a vehicle with an outstanding recall. My dealer wouldn't sell the 750 to me until he got the Pump. And did the work.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 39 Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I checked the VIN on NHTSA and it says there isn't a recall for my bike. My cheapest and best bet would probably be for me to buy an FP3 and see if it will auto tune it to run better.

P.S. Ignore my noob mention of a carb on a fuel injection motor.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-08-2017, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
If you have changed the exhaust or intake the fp3 is the answer

sent from my piece of sh!t phone

Oi oi oi
post #7 of 39 Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage View Post
I checked the VIN on NHTSA and it says there isn't a recall for my bike. My cheapest and best bet would probably be for me to buy an FP3 and see if it will auto tune it to run better.

P.S. Ignore my noob mention of a carb on a fuel injection motor.
FP3 is worthless.... Sorry to say it... Power Commander V is where it's at for full tuning capabilities... Auto tunes don't really do to well, along with half piggyback systems like the SAFC and old VTEC controllers, you need a full tune, not a half tune... And that is stranger, maybe mid model year they caught onto the fuel issue and fixed it?

And ok, noob lol hahah we forgive you

post #8 of 39 Old 02-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
Under Federal Law they cannot Legally Deliver a vehicle with an outstanding recall. My dealer wouldn't sell the 750 to me until he got the Pump. And did the work.
Of course, but I recently had an 03 Mitsubishi Outlander come through my doors from a dealership, and 2 outstanding recalls not performed... So what actually happens and what the law says are 2 different things... Discretion...

post #9 of 39 Old 02-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Let me guess, Used Car Dealer?

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #10 of 39 Old 02-08-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have heard a lot about Power Commander.. I'm going to do some more research on it. I'll probably end up going with that instead. Thanks for your input brother.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page